Moodle Boards – a virtual post-it note activity added to Moodle
By Rod Digges, on 16 September 2021
Moodle Boards have been added to the variety of activity options available in Moodle courses. A Board allows students and staff to add post-its to a virtual board where they may be organised and optionally ranked. Post-its may include plain text, images, links and YouTube videos.
On the Board, Students can:
- Add a new post with any of the following:
- A heading.
- Some text.
- A link.
- An uploaded image.
- An embedded YouTube video.
- Edit or Delete one of their posts.
They can also do the following depending on the board’s settings:
- Move their notes among columns *see caveat below.
- Star (vote up) someone else’s post.
The teacher can set up the activity with the following options:
- A closing date for submissions.
- How the posts are ordered in a column, by date or star count.
- Whether posts can be starred – by students, teachers, or neither.
On the board a teacher can:
- Move any of the posts from one column to another.
- Download a copy of the board contents.
- Download a spreadsheet of submissions of the students.
*Please note that the currently installed version of Board does not allow students to move their post-its between columns – the ability to do this will be added shortly. This version has been released primarily to give teaching staff an opportunity to preview the tool.
A Moodle mini-guide for the tool is also available.