Mandatory safety training for all Library staff
By Benjamin Meunier, on 14 April 2021
UCL Library Services is continuing to work to meet UCL’s safety objectives, in line with the H&S statement signed by Paul Ayris as HoD (UCL Library Services Safety Statement). The T100 Lite programme for Library Services is underway, with a raft of departmental arrangements being drafted which will form the basis for Site-specific arrangements. In order to raise awareness amongst Library Services staff, and as part of the compliance requirements for T100, a programme of mandatory training should be rolled out across the department with a target for all staff to have completed this training by the end of June 2021. Training to be undertaken is grouped between training aimed at staff without managerial responsibilities and further training aimed at managers.
The attached sets of training has been approved by the Library Services Operational Oversight Group and T100 Working Group . To support managers with monitoring the completion of initial and refresher training, we have created a Mandatory Training template which can be used to review dates for refresher training. Where the training below is available as e-learning, a link is included.
New Starters Mandatory Safety Training
All new members of UCL Staff are required to complete a number of mandatory safety training modules. The Line Manager is responsible for ensuring that all new members of staff under their managerial remit have completed these mandatory modules. The mandatory modules consist of:
- UCL Local Safety Induction conducted by Departmental Safety Officer. This induction will be arranged by Library HR.
- Local Fire Safety Induction and Familiarisation using the Building Fire Familiarisation Checklist (TN086). This training will be arranged by Library HR in conjunction with the Site Manager / Site Advisor.
- UCL Safety Induction (ELearning). The Line Manager must ensure that time is allocated in the first week of employment for this module to be completed.
- Fire Safety (ELearning). The Line Manager must ensure that time is allocated in the first week of employment for this module to be completed.
The Line Manager must ensure that all mandatory training has been logged on MYHR (by the employee if the session is not organised by the Organisational Development Team) and the new starter checklist (supplied by Library HR) has been completed and returned to Library HR. To ensure that all new starters have completed all the mandatory training Library HR will produce a report for the Director of Operations on a termly basis to ensure Library Services has met its legal requirement for mandatory safety training. Probation must not be confirmed until all the mandatory training has been completed (managers can check completion on MyHR).
Refresher Mandatory Safety Training
All members of UCL staff are required to complete refresher training on the below modules.
- Local Fire Safety Induction and Familiarisation using the Building Fire Familiarisation Checklist (TN086). This training must be refreshed every 2 The Line Manager is responsible for arranging this training. Once the training has been completed form TN086 ( tn-086.pdf | Safety Services – UCL – London’s Global University) must be completed and returned to Library HR. The training must also be logged on MYHR.
- UCL Safety Induction (ELearning). This training must be refreshed every 2 years and it is the responsibility of the Line Manager to ensured it is completed.
- Fire Safety (ELearning). This training must be refreshed every 2 years and it is the responsibility of the Line Manager to ensured it is completed
The Line Manager must ensure that all refresher training has been logged on MYHR once completed (by the employee if the session is not organised by the Organisational Development Team). Library HR will produce a report on a termly basis for the Director of Operations to ensure all staff members mandatory safety training is valid.
Managers Mandatory Training
In addition to the mandatory safety training for all members of UCL staff. Members of Library staff that have any managerial responsibilities must attend the below courses. These courses will assist in gaining an understanding of Safety procedures that is required for all Managers and Supervisors.
- Assessment of Display Screen Equipment (ELearning)
- Assessment of Display Screen Equipment Advanced Workshop
- Principles of Risk Assessment
- DSO’s workshop on Managers Safety Responsibilities.
- Principles of Safety Management (date for rollout yet to be confirmed by Safety Services).
The below training courses must also be attended if it applicable to the staff that they manage.
All Safety training needs should be discussed and agreed with the Line Manager and included in the yearly appraisal. All training will also be required to be refreshed as required, but Fire Safety training must be refreshed every 2 years. Further information training provided by Safety Services can be found at Safety Training | Safety Services – UCL – University College London.
The Line Manager is responsible for ensuring that all training has been logged on MyHR. The DSO can advise and offer guidance on any safety training related issues.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.