ABC Learning Design @ UCL
This is the UCL site for ABC Learning Design. The Erasmus+ project site and the ABC Toolkit can be found at Erasmus+ ABC to VLE: beyond curriculum design .
ABC and UCL
The ABC model has been widely used across UCL (and the sector) in the format of the ABC workshop, developed by UCL Digital Education. During the ‘classic’ high-energy 90 minute ABC workshop, academic teams work together to create a visual ‘storyboard’ showing the type and sequence learning activities required to meet the module’s learning outcomes, and how these will be assessed. Over a thousand UCL colleagues participated in live ABC workshops since we started in 2015, finding the format to be particularly useful for new programmes or those moving to an online or more blended format.
ABC and COVID-19
Although live workshops are not currently possible, ‘learning types’ has proved a practical and quick framework to help academic teams consider how to move learning activities online. We present here a ‘light’ online version of ABC that can be be run though MS Teams or Blackboard Collaborate.
- ABC in context – learning design at UCL, summer 2020.
- UCL’s Connected Learning Environment
- Online ABC – a step-by-step approach
UCL colleagues, if you wish to arrange an Online ABC session for your programme, please contact Digital Education at email@example.com.
New to ABC?
1. Watch this a short video introducing the live workshop (4 minutes).
2. A longer introduction from one of our live workshops (18 minutes)
3. More about the learning types, and how they link to UCL tools.
4. And some papers to read.
- Young, C. and Perović, N. (2016) Rapid and Creative Course Design: As Easy as ABC? Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences, 228, 390-395
- Hasenknopf, B., Michou, V., Milani, M., Perović, N. and Young, C. (2019). Sharing the ABC approach to learning design across three European Universities. European University Association (EUA), 2019 European Learning & Teaching Forum, Warsaw. ISSN: 2593-7448
- Young, C.P.L. and Perović, N. (2020). ABC LD – A new toolkit for rapid learning design. European Distance Education Network (EDEN) Conference 2020, Timisoara, Romania.
Clive Young and Nataša Perović, Digital Education, UCL, 2020
All ABC resources are released under Creative Commons
Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) license