UCL Careers

Find Your Future

Employer Insight Profile: Katherine Ashdown, Private Banker, Coutts

By UCL Careers, on 8 December 2016

Screen Shot 2016-12-08 at 10.24.53

Katherine Ashdown, Private Banker, Coutts

What was the pathway into your role?

I studied Business Management at the University of Surrey, spending a year working at Unilever as part of my degree and graduating in 2011. I chose a fairly broad course as at the time I was not too sure what path I wished to follow. Once I graduated I spent year travelling before going back to work as a Financial Analyst at Danone. As this point I realised accountancy was absolutely not for me and moved to an algorithmic trading company as their Business Support Manager covering everything from finance to sales. Admittedly I was a slightly older graduate when I came to Coutts in 2014 but these previous roles gave me the opportunity to discover what I really enjoy about work: talking to people and having a job with a great deal of variety. I have since become a private banker in the Coutts Landowners team where I have been working for the last year.

Do you have any tips for students entering this sector?
Private banking is all about people. You have to really enjoy speaking to clients and be willing to go the extra mile in everything you do. By getting a part-time job at university which brings you into contact with customers or clients gives you a great opportunity to see if this could be a good career for you and gives you many things to discuss in the interview arena. Additionally, I have also found my slightly broader experiences have come in extremely helpful with clients; many of whom are well travelled and a little older than I. Being able to discuss a variety of hobbies has always stood me in good stead.

What do you enjoy about your role?
Essentially my job is to talk to people. I absolutely relish being face-to-face with clients, preferably on their estates in the country discussing their dynastic plans. Landowners are a particularly passionate set, many of them have had their estates in their family for hundreds of years and that passion and pride is infectious. On top of this the Landowners client group is possibly the best in the bank. We are a small but determined team and I am extremely lucky to be with such a strong, hardworking group who also have good fun.

What does a typical day in your job involve?
It’s a cliché but there really is no typical day. I could be on an estate in Hampshire wearing wellies and driving around in a battered old Land Rover; dressed up at an awards lunch or client event, or just at my desk speaking to clients, dealing with day-to-day queries and arranging a mortgage. I have done all these things in the last week alone!

What are the biggest challenges you face in your work?
In the modern world we are facing constant and deepening regulation. Although regulation is a positive thing which protects both the client and the bank, it can sometimes be difficult for older clients who were used to a very different lending and banking environment to understand why processes are often much more complex and vigorous now. This can usually be overcome by strong communication and the setting of expectations early but even I get frustrated on behalf of my client sometimes!

What do you like about the location you currently work in?
440 Strand in London where Coutts is based is an icon of British culture and history. We are a set slightly back from the Thames and right next to Covent Garden which is fantastic for lunches out and shopping, not to mention after work drinks. It is an extremely social office!

Find out more about Private Banking and apply at:
yourpassionyourpotential.rbs.com