I am really delighted to have received Pioneer Award funding to work with Dr Caroline Bressey (Human Geography and Equiano Centre) on a project entitled The World of UCL 1828-1948: London’s Global University.
We aim to answer two related questions:
- To what extent can we establish the Asian and Black presence at UCL in the early years, 1828-1948?
- How can historical material about Asian and Black students be used in research, teaching and community engagement?
Between November 2011 and November 2012, we will be conducting research in the College Archives and establishing
- an exhibition
- an interdisciplinary symposium for UCL staff discussing how these materials might be used in research and teaching
- an interdisciplinary student conference
- creative workshops, creating art and writing from the sources
We are particularly looking forward to working with Dr Andrew Flinn (Information Studies) and College Archivist Gillian Furlong and to forming links with other researchers in the UCL community.
Watch this space for more news about the project.