‘Health Chatter’: Research Department of Behavioural Science and Health Blog

Making it easier to book for cervical screening

By Laura Marlow, on 12 July 2019

Authors: Mairead Ryan, Jo Waller, Laura Marlow

Over a quarter of all women who are eligible for cervical screening in Great Britain are currently overdue (that’s more than a million women). In a previous blog, we described our work showing that around half of these women want to be screened, but have not got around to going. When we talked to women about practical barriers to screening; they mentioned how the current booking process can be difficult and inflexible. In this piece of research, we wanted to explore how women feel about other booking options that might help them make the leap from intending to go for screening to actually booking their appointment.

Published in BMJ Open this week, our survey of 614 women found that half find it difficult to get through to a receptionist, 31% find it difficult calling during GP opening hours and 31% forget to book an appointment altogether. Women who were currently overdue for screening reported more practical barriers than those who were up-to-date. They were also more likely to say they might forget to book an appointment.

Women were asked how acceptable they would find different ways of receiving their screening invitation. Posted letters, which is how women are currently invited, were the most acceptable option (93%), but most women said they would be happy to receive their invitation by text-message (81%), mobile phone-call (76%) or email (75%).

We also asked women about alternative ways of booking their appointment. We found that many would consider booking online, either through a website on a computer (60%) or using their smartphone (59%). Younger women were far more likely to be happy with online booking and women who reported more barriers to booking an appointment showed greater interest in using online booking methods.

We asked women who did not like the idea of email or text invitations why this was and the most common concerns centred around privacy or ‘missed’ invitations. Using multiple modes to invite women to screening, i.e. utilising text messages alongside traditional paper invitations, could be a good option. In fact, text message reminders are already being rolled out across London.

Online booking options could overcome the most common practical barriers highlighted by participants, including ‘difficulty getting through to a receptionist’ and ‘difficulty calling the practice during opening hours’. While online booking is an option in some GP practices already, the current screening invitation letter doesn’t mention this. Signposting online booking services to women when they are invited for screening may be an effective way of improving the appointment booking process. But ensuring that traditional telephone booking options remain available is important for older women who may not be so comfortable with online booking.

14 Responses to “Making it easier to book for cervical screening”

• 1
    Patterson wrote on 29 March 2022:

Goodnews to everyone out there with different health challenges as I know there are still a lot of people suffering from different health issues and are therefore looking for solutions. I bring you Good news. There is a man called Dr Osato, a herbal practitioner who cures me from HSV2, i have suffered from this virus for the past 5 years. I got my healing by taking the herbal medicine Dr Osato sent to me to drink for two weeks and after the completion of the dosage, I went for a medical checkup and I tested Negative and my doctor confirmed with me that I was completely free from HSV2. All thanks to God for leading me to Dr Osato who was able to cure me completely from this horrible virus, I’m sharing this so that other people can know of this great healer called Dr Osato because I got to know him through Martha Jecorick post who he cured from HSV1&2 . I was made to understand that he can cure several other deadly diseases and viruses. Don’t die in ignorance or silence thinking that there is no cure for HSV1&2 or HIV and don’t let that illness take your life. Contact Dr Osato and get the cure from him. Dr Osato email is osatoherbalcure@gmail.com or WhatsApp him on +2347051705853 and His website is osatoherbalcure.wordpress.com . He cure all forms of diseases/virus {1}HIV/AIDS {2}DIABETES {3}EPILEPSY {4} CANCER or all kind {5} HPV {6} BRAIN TUMOR {7} HEPATITIS {8}COPD{9} SICKLE AND ANAEMIA {9} HSV1&2. Be kind enough to share as you read for others to know and get cured.

• 2
    Wilson Fox wrote on 13 July 2022:

I suffered from what they called peripheral artery disease (PAD). I have been suffering for years, Me and my wife searched for a medical cure, and then we came across a testimony of a man who suffered the same and was cured by Dr Chief Lucky. So my wife and I contacted Dr Chief Lucky via an email and thank God he replied. I explained what was wrong and he sent me herbal medicines that helped heal me completely. I am happy to say that herbal medicine is the ultimate and Dr Chief Lucky I am grateful. You can contact him on his email: chiefdrlucky@gmail.com or whatsapp: +2348132777335, Dr Chief Lucky said that he also specializes in the following diseases: LUPUS, ALS, CANCER, HPV, HERPES, DIABETES, COPD, HEPATITIS B, HIV AIDS, And more.

• 3
    Jred Hatty wrote on 22 July 2022:

I TESTED POSITIVE FOR HSV-2 A FEW MONTHS AGO.
    At first, Yes, I was devastated thinking I have an incurable STD for life. After doing hours of research I quickly realized genital herpes is a filthy parasite that just likes to hide in your body. Yes, There’s no “medical cure” but that doesn’t mean your body can’t get rid of it. I literally flush it out of my system with the help of Doctor Azuka, A natural herbal medicine which I ordered after doing some research. And now I’m HSV-2 negative, I never believed it until my doctor finally gave me the test results and behold I was HSV-2 free. I’m so glad that I found you, Doctor Azuka. Thanks so much for your goodness I’m grateful. You can also get your help from him through his
    Email } dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com
    WhatsApp } +2349166175418

• 4
    Aristide Mboneye wrote on 14 August 2022:

My wife and I will forever remain grateful to Dr Amber for his divine intervention in our lives. My wife and I fled from Burundi to Australia. We got to Australia and life was quite ok but we needed more funds to clear our bills. My wife did some research online to get help in winning the lottery and she got credible recommendations of Dr Amber who gives out lottery winning numbers with his magical spell. We got in touch with Dr Amber and he assured us that he can help us if only we believe in his work. We agreed to proceed with him and we bought one ticket in the Hospital Research Foundation Home lottery and played it just as Dr Amber instructed with the numbers he gave to us and within 5 days, we received the shock of a lifetime when we realized we’ve won a $3 million dollars house and $1 million dollars cash in the lottery. We want everyone to join us to appreciate Dr Amber. To know more, visit: amberlottotemple.com or call/text +18084815132 or email: amberlottotemple@gmail.com

• 5
    Irene Stack wrote on 13 September 2022:

Greetings to you all. I’m Irene Stack from the United State. I had to write back to say what an amazing experience I had with Dr Amber’s powerful Lottery Spell. He’s like an Angel sent from the heavens to rescue us from hardship. My Heart is filled with Joy and Happiness after Dr Amber cast the Lottery Spell that made me Win $1,000,000 Dollars with the Numbers he provided for me. His Spell changed my life into Riches and now, I’m out of debts and living the best life that I want for myself after I won ONE MILLION DOLLARS. My life has really changed for good. Your Lottery spell is so Real and Pure. Thank you Dr Amber for the life blessing you have given me. I am totally Grateful from the bottom of my heart for everything you did for me. You Can Contact Him For Your Own Lottery Number Because This Is The Only Secret To Win The Lottery.

To know more, Call / text him on SIGNAL MESSENGER via +18084815132 or email: amberlottotemple@yahoo.com or you go to his website: amberlottotemple.com

• 6
    Sarah wrote on 26 September 2022:

Recovery lost funds from scammer / Cryptocurrency/ Recovery of Stolen bitcoin / Bitcoin Mining/ Increase your Credit score/ MOBILE SPY REMOTE CONTROL ACCESS AUTHORIZATION. Removing Bad Records from Both Public and Private databases and website is https://wzardgarryspeedhac.wixsite.com/my-site-1 WhatsApp:+1 928 534 9618

• 7
    Marian Raymond wrote on 21 October 2022:

Talking about bad breath I must confess Dr, EREDIAWA have cure a lot of person with his natural Roots and herbs I’m living testimony, my bad breath was really worst I have to quit my job due to the nature of my job yeah, is was really horrible friends see me as poison yeah, I have to use antibacterial, Chlorhexidine, Cetylpyridinium chloride and mouthwash with little I could afford know cash with me cause I quit my job I spent all my savings it got worst suicide was the last option yeah. Luckily saw Facebook post by Grace Leo were she share her testimony how she get rid of her bad breath with the help of Dr, EREDIAWA, & his mail address:drerediawaherbs@gmail.com also his Whatsapp mobile line +2348159412586 I speak with Dr, he assure me of my cure he asked me few questions what to stay off during the intake of the herbal drugs, I do smoke yeah, he told me I we get the herbal drugs within (3) working days I got the herbal via DHL express I took it as he has directed guess what? oh my goodness just within (2) weeks my bad breath was seriously gone. I’m bad breath free I just want the world to know Dr EREDIAWA has the final solution to bad breath, I been a lot. I must say thanks to Dr EREDIAWA & Grace Leo who share her testimony too. i will forever be thankful to you both.

• 8
    Isabella Lucas wrote on 12 November 2022:

My ex-husband and I had always managed to stay friendly after our divorce in February 2017. But I always wanted to get back together with him, All it took was a visit to this spell casters website last December, because my dream was to start a new year with my husband, and live happily with him.. This spell caster requested a specific love spell for me and my husband, and I accepted it. And this powerful spell caster began to work his magic. And 48 hours after this spell caster worked for me, my husband called me back for us to be together again, and he was remorseful for all his wrong deeds. My spell is working because guess what: My “husband” is back and we are making preparations on how to go to court and withdraw our divorce papers ASAP. This is nothing short of a miracle. Thank you Dr Emu for your powerful spells. Words are not enough.
    Email emutemple@gmail.com
    Phone/WhatsApp +2347012841542.

• 9
    Aleksandra Marcin wrote on 16 November 2022:

Having my husband back is like restoring back my life, my husband who left me without a word coming back home have been the greatest gift have ever had this is one thing that I have always wished for in my Life and I got it within the space of 7 days, I followed the procedures given to me by Dr Robbinson everything work fine perfectly, Am very grateful for restoring happiness into my family Thank you Doctor, if any one here need help to fix his or her marriage/relationship your solution is here contact today

WhatsApp: +12267705795
    Email: drrobbinsonspiritualhome@gmail.com

• 10
    John woo wrote on 29 November 2022:

I had my first outbreak of Herpes virus nearly 2 years ago. Of all the torridness, the pain and itching were unbearable. I literally freaked out as my general physician said that it had no cure. The outbreaks were not that frequent initially, but every time I fall sick, it would resurface. I had so many sores this year that I was desperate to try anything to get rid of them. Three months ago a friend suggested that I try DR AKHIGBE remedy that’s helping people get cured from HSV, COUGHING, HIV&AIDS, GENITAL HERPES, SNEEZING, HEPATITIS B, CANCER e.t.c. I quickly ordered the product and started using the remedies. I’m so relieved to say that I’ve not had even one outbreak for a whole month now. Moreover, I’m feeling great from within. I truly endorse this herbal product DR AKHIGBErendered to me. So if you are suffering from any deadly disease you can also contact this great man on his email Drakhigbeherbalhome5@gmail.com contact his whatsApp +2349021374574. 

• 11
    juwan james wrote on 27 June 2023:

TESTIMONY ON HOW I GOT CURED TOTALLY FROM HERPES VIRUS BY DR ISHIAKU HERBS

I want to inform the public how I was cured of herpes  Virus by a Doctor called Dr ISHIAKU. I visited different hospitals but they gave me a list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which are very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedies on Herpes and I saw comments of people talking about how Doctor Ishiaku cured them. I Was scared because I never believed in the Internet but I was convinced to give him a try because I had no hope of being cured of herpes so I decided to contact him on his email, i searched his email on the net and I saw a lot of people testifying about his goodness. When I contacted him he gave me hope and sent a Herbal medicine to me that I took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without any problems, my HERPES result came out negative. You can contact him on his email: (ishiakuherbalcure@yahoo.com)or what – sapp him via (+2348180828544) and get all your problems solved.
    1)Sickness of any kind
    2)Help to cure  HEPATITIS B, DIABETICS, HIV/AIDS  and BIPOLAR
    3)Divorce, Breakup problem, To Re-unit or to cast a spell
    4)Pregnancy problem
    5)Financial problem and Job promotion
    6)bad mouth odour or tooth problem
    7)eye or ear problem

• 12
    juwan james wrote on 23 August 2023:

HOW I GOT FREE  FROM HERPES VIRUS BY DR ISHIAKU HERBS

I want to inform the public how I was cured of herpes  Virus by a Doctor called Dr ISHIAKU. I visited different hospitals but they gave me a list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which are very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedies on Herpes and I saw comments of people talking about how Doctor Ishiaku cured them. I Was scared because I never believed in the Internet but I was convinced to give him a try because I had no hope of being cured of herpes so I decided to contact him on his email, i searched his email on the net and I saw a lot of people testifying about his goodness. When I contacted him he gave me hope and sent a Herbal medicine to me that I took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without any problems, my HERPES result came out negative. You can contact him on his email: (ishiakuherbalcure@yahoo.com) or what – sapp him via +2348180828544 and get all your problems solved.
    1)Sickness of any kind
    2)Help to cure  HEPATITIS B, DIABETICS, and BIPOLAR
    4)Pregnancy problem
    5)Financial problem and Job promotion
    6)bad mouth odour or tooth problem
    7)eye or ear problem etc

Note: DR ISHIAKU HERBAL MEDICATION ARE 100% DR SEBI APPROVED 

• 13
    Helen Debra wrote on 21 September 2023:

I bring you Good news.There is a man called Dr.Ayomide a herbal practitioner who helped cure me from Genital herpes,this i had suffered from for the past 2years and i have spent so much money trying to survive from it.I got my healing by taking the herbal medicine he sent to me to drink for about 9days.3days after completion of the dosage,I went for a medical checkup and I was tested Genital Herpes NEGATIVE.I’m sharing this so that other people can know of this great healer called Dr Ayomide because I got to know him through a friend he cured from HIV.I was made to understand that he can cure several other deadly diseases and infections.Don’t die in ignorance and don’t let that illness take your life.Contact Dr Ayomide through his email address=ayomideherbalhome@gmail.com You can also call him or WhatsApp him on:+2348062443909 Thank you Dr. Ayomide. Be kind enough to share as you received.

• 14
    juwan james wrote on 28 December 2023:

HOW I GOT HEAL FROM HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS BY DR ISHIAKU HERBS

I want to inform the public how I was cured of herpes Virus by a Doctor called Dr ISHIAKU. I visited different hospitals but they gave me a list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which are very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedies on Herpes and I saw comments of people talking about how Doctor Ishiaku cured them. I Was scared because I never believed in the Internet but I was convinced to give him a try because I had no hope of being cured of herpes so I decided to contact him on his email, i searched his email on the net and I saw a lot of people testifying about his goodness. When I contacted him he gave me hope and sent a Herbal medicine to me that I took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without any problems, my HERPES result came out negative. You can contact him on his email: (ishiakuherbalcure@yahoo.com) or what – sapp him via +2348180828544 and get all your problems solved.
    1)Sickness of any kind
    4)Pregnancy problem
    5)Financial problem and Job promotion
    6)bad mouth odour or tooth problem
    7)eye or ear problem etc