MPBE Student Voice

Best food markets in London

By Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering, on 1 September 2022

a collage of different types of food

What I love about food markets is that it displays food cultures from all around the world. Food markets in London especially are so colourful, the atmosphere is vibrant and it has a variety of selection of foods to try from. It doesn’t matter if you are going for a big meal or just a little snack, there is something for everyone. Here are the best food markets in London, read on to see what all of these markets have to offer!

Old Spitalfields Market

Located near Liverpool Street Station, Old Spitalfields market is not just a food market, but it also sells other things like art, tote bags, candles, music boxes and loads more!

With the new Elizabeth line, it is only 2 stops from Tottenham Court Road, one of the closest stations from UCL. Old Spitalfields Market is only a 6 minute walk from Liverpool Street Station. Old Spitalfields market is one of my favourite markets as it is new, modern and very clean! I got a meat-filled Jian Bing from Pleasant Lady and a dessert from Humble Crumble. It was incredible and certainly worth a visit again.

Bloomsbury Farmers market

Located just opposite UCL campus, it is a popular spot for UCL students to grab a quick lunch in between lectures. However, it only opens every Thursday from 9am-2pm, which is a bummer! I visited this market numerous times, trying different foods from different food stalls. My favourite food stall would have to be Cakehole, where it sells all things cakes! I love a little sweet treat after a morning of labs and workshops, so Cakehole is the best place to go😊 They are handmade cakes full of fresh ingredients, and I would say their cacao brownies are the best!

Borough market

Ah Borough Market, the classic of all classics. Borough Market was the first food market I visited when I first came to London. Fun fact, one of the scenes in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was filmed at Borough Market! There is a vast food selection at the market, from smoothies to doughnuts to pasta. My personal favourite is the Hainanese chicken rice at Mei Mei. The flavours in the rice and the chicken were perfect and full of depth, transporting me to Singapore.

Camden market

Around half an hour walk from UCL, Camden Market offers a wide variety of food selections. My favourite roasted meat food stall, Three Uncles is located in the heart of Camden Market. It has the authenticity of Hong Kong taste, just the smell when you walk past the food stall will make your mouth water and the taste is irresistible. Camden Market don’t just offer food, there are lots of vintage shops as well, where you can easily spend an afternoon there. If you want to take a little stroll along the river, Regents Canal is just right around the corner from Camden Market. It is like a little escape from the city centre, and you can go to Primrose Hill to watch the sunset! Primrose Hill has one of the most spectacular views of the London Skyline. Two birds in one stone whoohoo I already created an itinerary for a weekend😊

Mercato Mayfair

Mercato Mayfair is one of the most prettiest markets I have ever been to. Well to be fair, it is more of a food hall than a food market. Nonetheless, they have an amazing variety of mouth-watering foods. Prior to being a food hall, it was a church (St. Mark’s Church, Mayfair). After 2 years of renovation, it transformed into a stunning food hall. Mercato Mayfair is made up of several floors where you can find dishes from all over the world. I had a handmade Rigatoni Bolognese pasta from Pasta Lovers, one of the food stalls on the ground floor. It was amazing and I highly recommend it😊 While enjoying a delicious meal, you can admire the beautiful architecture surrounding. The original stained glass windows are preserved, which makes it such an incredible place.

And the best thing about food markets? You don’t have to pay service charge😉. Whether you are looking for a quick treat/snack, homemade ingredients, or a huge meal, London food markets are the way to go!

This blog was written by Rachel, Biomedical Engineering