UCL masterplan shortlist announced in Building Design
By Clare Melhuish, on 12 January 2015
Gehl, O’Donnell & Tuomey and Stanton Williams shortlisted for UCL’s Olympic campus
12 January 2015 | By Elizabeth Hopkirk
O’Donnell & Tuomey, Stanton Williams and Gehl Architects have been shortlisted to masterplan a key part of Olympicopolis.
Allies & Morrison, Make and Lifschutz Davidson Sandilands are also among the five teams of finalists to design UCL’s new 125,000sq m campus just south of Zaha Hadid’s Aquatics Centre on the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park at Stratford.
The campus is a key part of the Olympicopolis cultural and educational district which will also provide new homes for the Victoria & Albert Museum, University of the Arts London and Sadler’s Wells.
Client David Goldstone, chief executive of the London Legacy Development Corporation, said: “It’s great to embark on this latest phase of the Olympicopolis project which will see the creation of a new campus in east London for one of the world’s leading research universities.”
The first phase will be 50,000sq m and will incorporate UCL Generator, the university’s first School of Design; the UCL Museum of the Future, a reinvention of the university museum for the 21st century; and the UCL Centre for Experimental Engineering.
Professor Steve Caddick, UCL’s vice provost of enterprise, said: “UCL East will be a university campus of the future – open, connected with businesses and embedded within the local community. We are looking forward to seeing the plans which the shortlisted teams will propose for the site, mirroring this vision for how the new campus will operate in the way it’s designed for the people and communities who’ll use it.”
The finalists – appointed after a PQQ process in October – will be invited to submit formal tenders with the aim of appointing the winning team this April.
• Aecom with Stanton Williams, Fluid and Access = Design
• Lifschutz Davidson Sandilands with Expedition Engineering, WSP Group, Townshend Landscape Architects, Useful Simple Group, Gardiner & Theobald, Quod, PFB Construction Management Services, Arup University, Sturgis Carbon Profiling, Alexi Marmot Associates, People Friendly Design, Space Syntax and PPS Group
• Make with Gehl Architects, LDA Design, Aecom, London Communications Agency, The Neighbourhood, David Bonnett Associates and Quod
• LDA Design with Nicholas Hare Associates, Buro Happold, Momentum Transport Planning, EC Harris, Soundings and Studio Weave
• Allies & Morrison with O’Donnell & Tuomey, Buro Happold, Gross.Max and Gardiner & Theobald