Preparations for a Sustainable Career
By Joe O'Brien, on 15 February 2021
Read time: 2 minutes
Written by Victoria Abbott, Recruitment & Selection Adviser at UCL Careers.
Sustainability is one of the most urgent and pressing challenges we face today and many of us want to get involved through impactful careers. If you want to be part of creating a more sustainable future, then keep reading to discover how you can learn more about the sector and use your skills and experiences to generate change.
Careers in Sustainability Week is designed to give you insights into the roles, rewards, and routes into this rapidly developing sector. Here you can develop your understanding of the business issues and global challenges of the sustainability sector, preparing you for a career in the field. We know that many employers are looking for sustainability conscious employees across the entire organisation – not just in ‘sustainability’ roles.
What’s happening throughout the week, and how will I benefit from taking part?
Hear from employers, graduates and UCL alumni at the forefront of sustainable innovation from a wide variety of roles and sectors. These bespoke panel talks include, but are not limited to:
- Business and Consultancy,
- Finance & Investment,
- Government & Policy,
- Heritage Management & Preservation,
- Wildlife and Ecology Conservation and more!
These engaging events are a great opportunity to have your individual questions answered. Find our how organisations really define sustainability and take the opportunity to network, inform yourself and engage with business representatives and sustainability professionals on the issues that matter to you.
Social Media Conversations
Engaging with the Alumni Instagram Takeover of Sustainable UCL’s profile, will give you the opportunity to really connect with select UCL alumni, all of whom are currently working in sustainable roles. Ask the questions you really want answered and boost your networking skills and sustainable connections throughout the week.
This CV workshop is highly beneficial to ensure you market your strengths and experiences effectively. This will also ensure you highlight the skills you need to be competitive in the sustainability job market.
How can I prepare for Sustainability Week?
You may want to think about the following topics prior to attending any of the events across Sustainability Week. These may help to clarify any questions you would like to ask during the event, and to make sure you get the most out of the experience.
- Have you considered how to best demonstrate the key skills and competencies in your applications for sustainability roles?
- How important is undertaking further study, such as a postgraduate course or professional qualification, or are most roles offered with on-the-job training?
- How can you demonstrate your passion and knowledge for sustainability to recruiters?
- How important is undertaking volunteering and extra-curricular activities to gain some practical experience within the sector?
- Have you made use of your UCL Careers service to support you with any of the above? If you would like some additional assistance, please get in touch today regarding our one-to-one appointments.
Whatever your degree subject, and wherever your particular specialism, area of interest or passion lies, a career in sustainability could be your future.
For full details of all events hosted throughout the week and how to register for events, please visit the Careers in Sustainability Week webpage.