Museums, Arts & Cultural Heritage Week 2018
By Joe S Sprecher, on 9 November 2018
Thinking of considering a career in Arts, Museums or Cultural Heritage? Not sure where to start? Looking for career inspiration?
This is the week for you! This is your chance to meet professionals and experts working in various roles within these sectors.
The following events are open to students and recent graduates from all degree disciplines and all of the events below are now bookable through your ‘myUCLCareers’ account.
Working in Arts and Culture | Monday 12 November – 5:30pm
Thinking about working in the arts or cultural sector? Come along to this panel event for the chance to hear from professionals currently working in managerial, creative and organisational roles within a variety of arts and cultural settings. Speakers will discuss the realities and rewards of their roles.
The panel discussion will be followed by Q&A.
- Kate Mason – Director at The Big Draw
- Shelley James – Artist at Shelley James Glass
- Meg Peterson PhD – Project Manager, Research and Higher Education at Battersea Arts Centre
- Abby-Jo Sheldon – Development and Events at Freud Museum London
- Caroline Marcus FRSA – Chair of The Board of Trustees at GEM (Group for Education in Museums)
Meet the Alumni | Tuesday 13 November – 6:30pm
How do you go from studying at UCL to working in exciting professional positions in museums, arts and cultural heritage. Learn from UCL alumni in this panel discussion and Q&A session?
The Q&A session will be chaired by Dr Nina Pearlman, Head of UCL Collections at UCL Art Museum, and Slade alumnus. You will then have the chance to meet and network with these expert panelists for an hour after the event, giving you insight into career options and making useful connections for your career journey.
UCL Alumni attending include:
- Dhikshana Turakhia Pering, Youth Programme Manager at London Transport Museum (MA Museums and Galleries, 2008)
- Lisa Westcott Wilkins, Managing Director at Dig Ventures (MA Archaeology, 2002)
- Eric Brunjes, Chief Executive at Attack Magazine (BA History, 2006)
- Adam Klups, Historic Buildings Advisor at Church of England (BA History of Art with Material Studies, 2011)
- Jonathan Franklin, Librarian at National Gallery in London (MA Library & Information Studies, 1986)
Cultural Heritage Forum | Thursday 15 November – 6:00pm
Hear from UCL alumni working right across the cultural heritage sector including organisations such as the British Museum and on the restoration of the Houses of Parliament, one of the most significant restoration projects in Europe. This event will help shed light on the wide variety of roles, across museums, the built environment and other in the cultural heritage sector.
- Mary Pierre-Harvey, Assistant Director at The Houses of Parliament (MSc, Architecture, The Bartlett)
- Mads Skytte Jorgensen, Business Analyst at The British Museum (MSc, Archaeology)
- Corrine Harrison, Library Archive & Museum Services Administrator (Royal College of Physicians)