UCL Careers

Find Your Future

UCL Alumni Profile: Hugo Watkins, Graduate Trainee at KPMG (Forensic – Fraud & Investigations)

By Weronika Z Benning, on 13 April 2016

From a Geography Degree to the Forensic Team at KPMG

I read BSc Geography at UCL and graduated in June 2014. Like many people, before university I didn’t really know what I wanted to study let alone what career path I wanted to follow. But now I find myself five months into a graduate scheme with one of the Big Four financial services firms, training to be a forensic accountant.

Why did I apply to KPMG?

A difficulty I had was thinking that because I read Geography I couldn’t go into the world of finance. This is definitely not the case!

I’ve always had an interest in business, the finance sector, law and politics, but never really knew if that’s what I wanted to go into after university. I did a bit of research around lots of graduate schemes, and the forensic accounting graduate scheme at KPMG jumped out at me. This was the perfect opportunity to go into a field that traversed finance and law, work at a big firm, and get a well-recognised qualification to boot! For me, KPMG ticked all the boxes as a first job, providing a strong platform from which to launch from academia into the world of work.

What was the application process like?

The application process, like many graduate schemes, involved several stages of forms, tests and interviews. The key at the start of the process is to make sure you’re well practiced for the online tests and that you have a full grasp of the competencies KPMG look for in a candidate before your phone interview. The final two stages involve what KPMG call an ‘immersive assessment centre’ and then a final interview with a Partner from the department you are applying to.

What does my job involve?

For the next three years I will immerse myself in a variety of projects whilst studying for my ACA accountancy qualification alongside. As a forensic accountant, I get to be involved in a wide range of interesting and challenging projects, from fraud investigations and suspicions of money laundering to giving advice about regulatory compliance and the intellectual property rights of companies. It may sound cliché but the job really is different most days, as you never know what you might uncover or what the next project will involve.

What is life like at KPMG?

Similar to a lot of graduate schemes with big firms, there are a lot of people joining at the same time in the same position as you. I see this as a massive positive, as it means you’ve got plenty of people to talk to, learn with, and a strong group of friends to go through the ups and downs with.

The great thing about KPMG that seems to set it apart from other firms some of my friends work at is the community culture. The flat structure means that you really can talk to anyone, no matter their management level, and people make time to talk to you and help.

Finally, there are the obvious perks of working at a big company, such as a great social life, sports teams, extra training opportunities, volunteering, and lifestyle extras in addition to your salary. I’ve really enjoyed my time so far in this fast-paced but warm atmosphere.

Are there any downsides?

The main downside to my job is having to juggle work and studying. It can be difficult when you’re on an important project with lots to do, but when the work day finishes you have to go home and revise for your exams coming up in the next few days. Having said this, these situations are few and far between. KPMG are also very good at giving graduates time off from work for dedicated study. Moreover for me, the value of this qualification and the fact that it is fully paid for by KPMG outweigh a few long days of work followed by revision.

What advice can I give for people wanting to join KPMG?

I think the key for any hopeful applicant is to throw yourself into the application. Learn as much as you can about KPMG, the kinds of services offered (not just those by the stream you are applying to!), and what skills you have that would make you a strong fit. It doesn’t matter what you studied at university – as long as you get a good degree result and have an inquisitive mind, you’ll do well in the application process.

Even if you’re not sure about KPMG or the world of finance, I would just recommend having a quick look at who KPMG are and what they do. It opened my eyes and now a couple of years down the line here I am!