How to prepare for our Career Fairs…
By UCL Careers, on 30 September 2014
Every year UCL Careers holds a number of Careers Fairs to help you talk to employers and find out first hand what they are looking for. You will get more out of the Careers Fair if you spend a little time preparing…
Be aware that there will be a mixture of all kind of employers from all kinds of sectors exhibiting each day and you might find an employer that you had never really considered before as being a front runner for you. To help you prepare effectively we’ve put some handy tips together to get you started:
Before the fair
We strongly encourage you to do some research on the exhibitors before the fair: www.ucl.ac.uk/careers/fairs
As well as reading the exhibitor profiles, click through to the organisation’s own website to find out more about them.
You can then decide which exhibitors you particularly want to talk to, and you will be able to ask more informed questions. Try to prepare some questions in advance and think about the main points that you would want an organisation to know about you – it can help you feel more confident.
At the fair
At the fair, each exhibiting organisation has a stand and their reps are there to answer your questions about what the organisation does, what jobs they offer to final year students and graduates, what internships/placements they provide to earlier year students, and any other opportunities that they offer.
Wherever possible, try to talk to someone on the stand instead of just picking up a brochure. Use the opportunity to ask your questions face-to-face.
If you are feeling a bit nervous about approaching your first choice organisation, it can be a good idea to visit some other stands first to practise your technique.
If you are given a business card, make a point soon afterwards of noting on it anything that it would be useful to remember. Have they suggested you email them with further questions? Did they give you advice on their recruitment process?
Even if you have a ‘hit list’ of exhibitors, consider other organisations at the fair that are less well known. They might be offering just what you are looking for.
Remember to bring your UCL ID or GradClub ID card as you won’t be able to enter the fair without this!
Other hints and tips
- Remember that many of the opportunities are available to students of any discipline
- Staff on the exhibitor stands are often relatively recent graduates who can tell you what it is really like to work in their organisation
- If you want to have a CV ready to hand over, arrange an appointment at UCL Careers before the Careers Fair to ask for some CV feedback
- The fair may be busy when you arrive – don’t be put off. People tend to congregate by the entrance, so head to another part of the fair where it will probably be quieter
- Avoid walking round the fair with a group of friends. The exhibitor may not realise that you are interested in them, and you could miss out because your friend happens to be more talkative than you!
- If you feel overwhelmed, and don’t know what to do or where to start, make sure you visit the UCL Careers for help.
For further information about the fairs, please visit: www.ucl.ac.uk/careers/fairs