At Transcribe Bentham, we give regular presentations to both scholarly and public audiences to spread knowledge about Bentham’s philosophy, encourage new volunteers to take part and share our experience of managing a long-standing crowdsourcing project. Contact us to find out more.
Sign up to our newsletter to keep up to date with our latest events.
- Seaward, Louise, Presentation at Women’s Institute, Abbey Wood branch, 8 April 2019.
- Seaward, Louise, ‘The READ project: opening up access to handwritten historical documents’, ICARUS Convention #23, Pula, 27-29 March 2019.
- Seaward, Louise, ‘Case study – Transcribe Bentham’, Living Knowledge Network: Crowdsourcing Skill Sharing Day, The British Library, 7 March 2019.
- Hacking the Past: An Archives Game Jam, organised in collaboration with The National Archives, UCL, 23-24 February 2019
- Seaward, Louise, ‘What next after digitisation? Handwritten Text Recognition of historical documents with Transkribus’, History Day 2018, Institute of Historical Research, London, United Kingdom, 27 November 2018.
- Seaward, Louise, ‘Artificial Intelligence in Archives: Handwritten Text Recognition with Transkribus’, Digital Humanities seminar series, University of Exeter, 21 November 2018.
- Seaward, Louise, ‘Keyword Spotting in Practice: Maximising the Utility of Jeremy Bentham’s manuscripts’, Transkribus User Conference 2018, 8-9 November 2018.
- ‘Transkribus: Revolutionising access to historical documents’, University of Zagreb, 18 October 2018.
- Schofield, Philip, ‘From Typewriters to Neural Networks: The Bentham Project and Digital Technology’, Bibliotheca Baltica conference, University of Rostock, 5 October 2018.
- Seaward, Louise, ‘Transcribe Bentham: transcribing with computers and the crowd’, Patrimoine numérique accès, mise en réseau et présentation, Zurich and Brugg, Switzerland, 27-28 September 2018.
- Seaward, Louise, ‘Revolutionising access to archival material: Automated Text Recognition in Transkribus’, Archives and AI, The National Archives, United Kingdom, 4 September 2018.
- Seaward, Louise, talk at ‘Representation of the people in science: Women in civic and citizen science’, University College London, 19 March 2018. All welcome, registration required.
- Seaward, Louise, ‘Transkribus: Automated Text Recognition for Handwritten Historical Documents.’, Institute for Historical Research, London, 21 March 2018. Registration required.
- Seaward, Louise, talk at Historical Association, Hertfordshire branch, 10 March 2018
- Seaward, Louise, talk at Historical Association, North London branch, 9 January 2018
- Seaward, Louise, talk at Highgate Literary and Scientific Institution, London, 14 December 2017
- Seaward, Louise, ‘What next after digitisation? Handwritten text recognition in the READ project’, Discovering Collections, Discovering Communities conference, Salford, 29 November 2017
- Causer, Tim, Schofield, Philip and Seaward, Louise, talks at The Bentham Hackathon (held in association with IBM).
- Seaward, Louise, ‘Quiet but powerful: sustaining the Transcribe Bentham volunteer community’, Le Crowdsourcing: pour partager, enrichir et publier des sources patriomoniales, Université Angers, France, 19 October 2017
- Seaward, Louise, ‘Enlightening the crowd? Crowdsourcing research with Transcribe Bentham’, Digitising Enlightenment II conference, Radboud University, the Netherlands, 16 June 2017
- Seaward, Louise, talk at University of the Third Age, London Summer School, 1 August 2017
- Seaward, Louise, talk at University of the Third Age, Rochester branch, 12 July 2017
- Seaward, Louise, talk at Guildhall Library, London, 22 June 2017
- Seaward, Louise, talk at Paphos Third Age, Cyprus, 23 May 2017
- Seaward, Louise, ‘Transcribe Bentham: transcribing with computers and the crowd’, Prior Project workshop on Time and Modality, University of Aalborg, Denmark, 30 May 2017
- Seaward, Louise, talk to UCL Alumni network, London, 23 February 2017
For a full list of all our previous presentations, see our Events archive.