The Survey of London

Recording the history of London's built environment since 1894

Dan Cruickshank’s photographs of Whitechapel and environs in the early 1970s

By the Survey of London, on 30 November 2018

This is a post of photographs arising from the Survey of London’s Whitechapel History Fest, held at the Idea Store Whitechapel in late October. The event drew more than 200 people to attend a range of talks and discussions, as well as poetry readings and the premiere of a film. We were delighted that Dan Cruickshank came to present the final talk of the occasion, a wide-ranging overview of Whitechapel’s history from a personal point of view. He recounted his walks through the wider E1 area in the early 1970s, using his own photographs of that time as illustrations. Dan has now kindly shared these and a number of other contemporary photographs with us. All images are the copyright of Dan Cruickshank.

185 and 187 Whitechapel Road

23-25 Parfett Street, Whitechapel

Lambeth Street, Whitechapel

Former sugar refinery, converted to tea warehouse, Dock Street, Whitechapel

Brushfield Street, Spitalfields

Sclater Street, Spitalfields

Fleur-de-lis Street, Spitalfields

St Katharine’s Dock warehouses

London Dock and warehouses

London Dock warehouses (Pennington Street or north side)

America Circus

9 Responses to “Dan Cruickshank’s photographs of Whitechapel and environs in the early 1970s”

• 1
    David Adams wrote on 18 March 2020:

Excellent pictures, me and my mate used to fish from that mound of dirt shown in the corner of the london dock..
    Very good fish and memories.

• 2
    David Adams wrote on 18 March 2020:

any feedback welcome on the london docks around 1975…

• 3
    Jonathan Madden wrote on 30 March 2020:

Brilliant pictures. the one of Lambeth Steet Whitechapel is of particular interest as my Great Grandfather’s address in 1877 is given as 20 Lambeth Street. There has been continuous and extensive development in the area so buildings are difficult to trace. Looking at the picture I’m presuming that behind the wall is the railway, although what the large building above it is I’m not sure.
    Many thanks for the photo.

• 4
    Louise wake wrote on 28 October 2020:

Great pics.would love to know the name of this particular sugar refinery that is featured above.does anyone know please?

• 5
    Survey of London wrote on 15 May 2021:

Dear Mrs Wake
    Sincere apologies for our slowness in picking up your question. All we know about this building can be read here – https://surveyoflondon.org/map/feature/1364/detail/#site
    Kind regards
    Peter Guillery

• 6
    Evelyn wrote on 11 September 2021:

Great to find a photograph of Lambeth Steet, Whitechapel. My great grandparents lived on number 63, which was probably above a pub at the time.

• 7
    Rob Paterson wrote on 2 May 2023:

Some very nice photo’s. Lambeth Street is also of interest to me, in that my 5 x Great Grandparents were at number 23 circa 1849-1852, as was their daughter and her husband, my 4 x G-Grandparents during the autumn of 1849.
    Bittersweet in a way, as the building on the right of the image (East side of Lambeth Street) is the London Midland Railway, Commercial Street goods depot, which was built on the site of all the houses that formerly stood on that side of the road.

• 8
    Robert Chappell wrote on 28 May 2023:

My third great grandfather James Henry Gome (4/10/1801-12/6/1893) died in Marden Campbelltown Adelaide lived from 1801-1822 at Prospect Place Wapping together with his parents Christopher William Gome (1760-1850) and Elizabeth Gome nee Buss (1770-1817) she is buried in the Independent Congregational Cemetery Philpott St Whitechapel he in Philadelphia Pennsylvania USA
    James married Sarah Harvey who was born in the Jago area and they emigrated to Adelaide South Australia in June 1848 on the “Poctious”
    Christopher and Elizabeth Gome lived previously in Phoenix Row Southwark St Georges Fields.

• 9
    Chrys Callan wrote on 8 December 2023:

So interesting and wonderful pictures. My grandmother who.lived till she was 90 was born in Slater St, her mother and brother in later life lived at 83 Lambeth St. I remember my great Aunt who lived till she was 106 telling me as a child living Leman Street which she called Lemon St. Their name was Clifton