Meet the Team

There are currently eight UCL researchers in our Postgraduate Student Engagement team, whose profiles are listed below. For previous team members, see our Researchers in Museums Alumni page.

Team Coordinator

Arendse Lund

UCL Department of English

ArendseFor my dissertation, I’m exploring changes to loricae, a type of religious prayer, between the early and later Middle Ages which show direct liturgical borrowings from the Irish by the Anglo-Saxons and, later, the Icelanders. In conventional prayer, the supplicant invokes the divine and asks for favour or protection in a method recognizing that it’s the divine will being done unto the worshiper. The loricae however are unorthodox and arguably function more like charms; while they still invoke divine beings, instead of begging for protection the poem demands the investment of the supplicant with their power. I am primarily interested in the evidence of the loricae outside medieval Ireland, and secondarily interested in the formal poetic conventions.

Follow her on Twitter: @arendse

Read Arendse’s blog posts.

Engagement Team

Citlali Helenes GonzálezCitlali Helenes González

UCL Institute of Child Health and Department of Mechanical Engineering

I am a second year PhD student based in the Institute of Child Health and the department of Mechanical Engineering. I study human neural differentiation and development and try to differentiate human neural stem cells into neurons and other brain cells. In order to study cells in vitro, it is desirable to mimic the environment of the brain. This is why the aim of my project is to produce a 3D model using human neural stem cells and biopolymers by spraying them using a technique called Bio-electro spray in order to obtain scaffolds with cells embedded in them. The cells will then be pushed to differentiation and this way I will try to reproduce a neural tissue. The ultimate goal would be to recreate the neural tube, which is the structure formed in the foetus from where the central nervous system develops.

Read Citlali’s blog posts.

Cerys Bradley 

UCL Department of Security & Crime Science

CerysI am a PhD student in the Crime and Security Science Department, a multidisciplinary research group that applies all areas of science to modern crime problems. I use my background in mathematics, combine with crime science, to investigate Dark Net Markets (DNMs) (websites in the Dark Web that facilitate the sale of illegal goods). I am interested in why offenders with a history of activity on DNMs, specifically those buying and selling drugs, might stop, as well as what existing parts of the DNM environment could act as a deterrent to future offenders.

Read Cerys’s blog posts.

Julia Deathridge

MRC Laboratory of Molecular Cell Biology

Stem cells have the capability to develop into many different cell types in the body as their cell fate is yet to be determined. It has become apparent that under culture conditions not all stem cells in a population will be in a uniform state and a situation arises in which some cells will be primed for development, whilst others remain in a stem-like state known as ‘Naive pluripotency’. However, what is causing this heterogeneous population is still unclear. My PhD project is looking at the mechanisms that could be regulating this variation in state between stem cells of the same population and whether once a cell has been primed for development is it possible for it to return back to its Naive state.

Read Julia’s blog posts.

Kyle Lee-Crossett

UCL Institute of Archaeology

My research investigates decision-making in archives and collections, particularly how people identify and incorporate difficult or controversial materials. My PhD is part of the Heritage Futures research project, which compares how different conservation practices approach the future. How do we shape diverse and responsive collections for the future?

Read Kyle’s blog posts.

Josie Mills

UCL Institute of Archaeology

My research is focused on exploring how the Neanderthals of the English Channel region collected flint raw material to make stone tools and what understanding these processes of acquisition can tell us about human behaviour in the Middle Palaeolithic. During my first year of research I have trialled the use of portable x-ray fluorescence to establish the geochemistry of flint artefacts with the aim of linking them back to a geological area, thus estimating a distance travelled from source to site. Continuing work will involve other profiling techniques such as mass-spectrometry and experimental work on flint itself to further test the validity of this provenancing method.

Read Josie’s blog posts.

Catie Williams

BBSRC London Interdisciplinary Doctoral Programme

CatieMy research is on the evolution of gut bacteria in primates.  Specifically, we are looking at the factors that affect which gut bacteria a primate will have, including primate species, diet, and social behaviour.  We are also looking into how life in captivity affects the gut microbiota by comparing wild and captive animals of the same species.

Read Catie’s blog posts.

Hannah Wills

Science and Technology Studies

HannahMy PhD is a Collaborative Doctoral Award with UCL and the Royal Society, on the topic of ‘Charles Blagden and Banksian Science, 1770-1820’. My project involves the transcription and interpretation of the diary of Charles Blagden, secretary to the Royal Society from 1784 to 1797, under the presidency of Joseph Banks. I am particularly interested in Blagden’s role as a ‘go-between’, and how he brokered scientific information and objects between individuals and communities, both in London and abroad.

Read Hannah’s blog posts.