Linking to readings via Ovid
By Hazel M Ingrey, on 11 September 2017
Ovid is a large database which provides access to many journals, books and some audio-visual resources. If you need to bookmark a journal article from here you will find the link is not stable: when you return to the reading the link may not work – and therefore is not helpful to your students.
The easy solution
Make a basic bookmark and the library will turn this into a stable link for you:
- Bookmark the page as usual: in Ovid, this works beautifully so all the bibliographic data will pull through nicely.
- Use the ‘Library note’ to flag that the link needs upgrading.
- When you have completed your reading list, click ‘Request review’. TLS will be notified to check your list and we will update the link to a stable link.
How is this done?
A surprising number of academics, learning technologists and librarians ask how they can do this themselves, so the following is for them:
- Navigate to the article
- First click on ‘Email jumpstart’ and from the popup box, copy the jumpstart URL (click on the image below for the screenshot)
- Then bookmark as usual from the article, but replace the ‘Weblink’ with the ‘jumpstart’ URL.