Nahrein Research Grants Awards Principal Investigators meet in Baghdad
By o.borlea, on 5 May 2021
Dr Mehiyar Kathem
On 3rd May, the Nahrein Network organised a meeting in Baghdad with several project partners from Baghdad, Diyala, Anbar, Salahadeen, Nassiryah and Najaf.
Principal Investigators and researchers of funded projects spoke about their respective activities and work to date.
The meeting was organised by Nahrein Network Co-Director, Dr Jaafar Jotheri and Deputy Director, Dr Mehiyar Kathem. The meeting was also attended by Management Committee members Dr Ula Merie and Dr Dhirgham Aloybaydi.
The meeting provided an opportunity for project leaders to exchange information and share good practices especially with a view to the future development of the Nahrein Network. Activities are diverse in scope and concentrate on Iraq’s tangible and intangible heritage.
Representatives from the following projects were in attendance:
- The plural heritage landscapes of Najaf: Creating a sustainable plan for Christian heritage
- Creating an Intangible Cultural Heritage teaching module for Iraq’s national undergraduate university curriculum
- Plural heritage and local perspectives of Baghdadi cultural heritage
- Dictionary of the colloquial and Marsh Arab dialects in Southern Iraq
- Digital documentation of heritages sites that affected by armed conflicts in Tikrit Province, Northern Iraq
- Post-ISIS Identity (Re)construction in the War-torn Areas: Al-Karma as a Case Study
- The impact of armed conflicts on the cultural heritage in Diyala Province, Northern Iraq
- Digital documentation of heritages sites affected by armed conflicts in Anbar Province, western Iraq
The projects listed above are headed by Iraqi academics and some will be implemented in partnership with Iraq’s national heritage institution, the State Board of Antiquities and Heritage (SBAH), which is part of the Ministry of Culture.
For further information and regular updates, follow the Nahrein Network on twitter (@nahreinnetwork) and Facebook (www.facebook.com/nahreinnetwork).