Emerging Subjects Blog

Emerging Subjects of the New Economy: Tracing Economic Growth in Mongolia

Five Heads (Tavan Tolgoi) – Launched at greengrassi

By uczipm0, on 30 September 2018

By Hermione Spriggs – Curator of the Five Heads exhibition.

The Emerging Subjects exhibition Five Heads launched ceremoniously at greengrassi & Corvi-Mora on August 31st. It opened with introductory speeches, vodka libations to bless the artworks on show, and a morin khuur (“horsehead fiddle”) performance by London-based Mongolian musician Victor Nyamdavaa. The exhibition included works by Tuguldur Yondonjamts, Deborah Tchoudjinoff, Baatarzorig Batjargal, Yuri Pattison, Dolgor Ser Od and Marc Schmitz. It received reviews from Art Agenda and Contemporary art Daily, and will feature in the Nov/Dec issue of ArtAsiaPacific.

Five Heads, Installation View (photograph Brett Dee)

Five Heads opening event at greengrassi & Corvi-Mora (photograph Brett Dee)

Deborah Tchoudjinoff, Baigala, 2018. Steel, wood, VR (photograph Brett Dee)

Throughout the Five Heads project we have followed a guiding Mongolian principle of “separating to connect,” leaving space for new meaning to emerge through layers of exchange, translation and material process. Beyond the surprising and interrogative art works you see pictured here, new lasting relationships have formed through our gathering around the exhibition launch in London. These relationships will no doubt motivate future iterations of the project, and further experiments in art-anthropology collaboration. The experience of curating Five Heads and the warm afterglow that persists in its wake are well expressed through an anecdote Rebecca Empson shared with me, by way of a conversation she had with the recently deceased anthropologist Roy Wagner (whose own work was a major influence on the conceptual formation of Five Heads). Roy told Rebecca that certain research can only be conducted with and through humour. Of course, a peal of laughter – as with a flash of inspiration, or poetic analogy – involves a burst of energy that connects two disparate realms. In this sense, the works resulting from Five Heads can be thought of as metamorphic forms born of frictive energy released through the collision of art and anthropology. Or as “pearls and coral” thrown up from an underworld of hidden connections; that which Walter Benjamin has described as the “new beauty in what is vanishing.”[1]

Ser Od & Schmitz, “North of the North Pole”, Five Heads, greengrassi & Corvi-Mora, 2018 (photograph Brett Dee)

Exhibition publication

Launched in tandem with the Five Heads exhibition at greengrassi and Corvi-Mora, the publication Five Heads (Tavan Tolgoi): Art, Anthropology and Mongol Futurism (Hermione Spriggs, Ed., Sternberg Press, 2018) features visual documentation of multiple art-anthropology exchange processes, ethnographic texts, and further written contributions by Hermione Spriggs & Rebecca Empson, Richard Irvine, Simon O’ Sullivan, Uranchimeg Tsultem and Tsendpurev Tsegmid that introduce contemporary Mongolia as a dynamic site for conceptual and creative experimentation.

Cover and excerpt from Five Heads (Tavan Tolgoi): Art, Anthropology and Mongol Futurism.

In the essay section of this book, the Green Horse Society tells a history of art and culture newly untethered in post-Soviet Mongolia; an early style of ethnographic art known as “One Day in Mongolia” painting provides a canvas for urgent environmental protest; Mongolian hip-hop and nationalist poetry become ciphers for thinking through deep time; and space is opened up for what Simon O’Sullivan terms the “art-anthropology probe head” to do its important work. The book is available to purchase from the front desk of the UCL Anthropology Department, or directly from the publisher here.

The exhibition has now formally come to a close, but our conversation continues through a series of events hosted in collaboration with the cross-disciplinary art and research centre Arts Catalyst. Earlier this month we launched the publication with a panel discussion between artists Tuguldur Yondonjamts and Hermione Spriggs and anthropologists Bumochir Dulam and Rebecca Empson at Arts Catalyst. If you missed this but would like to listen back, the conversation will be soon available to stream. A subsequent display of materials showcasing the process behind the art-anthropology exchange will be open to the public in the UCL Department of Anthropology Foyer from the 8th October.

Tuguldur Yondonjamts is currently living and working in London as Artist in Residence at Arts Catalyst, and his evolving exhibition of work in progress is open to the public until the November 3rd (details here). On October 10th Tuguldur’s paired anthropological researcher Rebekah Plueckhahn is co-leading the workshop “The Infrastructure of Fortune: Extraction and Resistancewith artist Mikhail Karikis, also at Arts Catalyst. For more information and to book a place please follow this link.

[1] Walter Benjamin quoted in Hannah Arendt, Introduction to Walter Benjamin, Illuminations: Essays and Reflections [1st publ. by Suhrkamp Verlag, 1955] (Harcourt Brace Jovanovich 1968).

8 Responses to “Five Heads (Tavan Tolgoi) – Launched at greengrassi”

• 1
    peter wrote on 9 July 2021:

Thanks for sharing this useful info.. Stove Repair Prosper

• 2
    Nancy Wilson wrote on 13 July 2021:

I really appreciate the kind of topics you post here. Thanks for sharing us a great information that is actually helpful. Good day!
    Stain Removal Elkridge

• 3
    Edward Dillinger wrote on 3 August 2021:

I want to testify about TD Ameritrade who helped me invest my bitcoin and made me who I am today, I never believe in investing in bitcoin until I met TD Ameritrade. I saw so many testimonies about him helping people to invest their bitcoin. I decide to contact him and invested $500 and, after 72 hours, I get my $ 5,000 profit in my bitcoin wallet. Since I invested with them and I always receive my profit without delay, so if you want to invest your bitcoin, TD Ameritrade is the best deal with which you can invest and make profit is a guarantee. So, if you want to invest, just contact him and he will guide you on how to start your investment. Email: tdameritrade077@gmail.com

• 4

##I want to testify about TD Ameritrade who helped me invest my bitcoin and made me who I am today, I never believe in investing in bitcoin until I met TD Ameritrade. I saw so many testimonies about him helping people to invest their bitcoin. I decide to contact him and invested $500 and, after 72 hours, I get my $ 5,000 profit in my bitcoin wallet. Since I invested with them and I always receive my profit without delay, so if you want to invest your bitcoin, TD Ameritrade is the best deal with which you can invest and make profit is a guarantee. So, if you want to invest, just contact him and he will guide you on how to start your investment. Email: tdameritrade077@gmail.com

• 5
    patiala m legitimate wrote on 9 August 2021:

Do you need a fast loan to solve your financial needs, we offer loan ranging from €3,000.00 to €100,000,000.00 Max, we are reliable, efficient, fast and dynamic, with 100% guaranteed We also give Loans in (Euros, Pounds and Dollars).) The interest rate that applies to all loans is (2%) contact us on For immediate response to your application, Kindly reply to us at (Whats App) number:+919394133968 patialalegitimate515@gmail.com Mr Jeffery.

• 6
    Young Lie wrote on 3 September 2021:

Good News From Ethical Cyber Blank ATM Cards and Bitcoin Investments..
    Have you been trying to get a real blank ATM Card or bitcoin and it has been a problem trying to get one? Here is Ethical Cyber Blank ATM Card easy and affordable to get and it can be delivered to you waiting 24hrs after you have made your order from him at (webmaster6099@gmail.com whatsapp +15673430044), he have special cash loaded programmed ATM card and bitcoin for you to meet up with those needs of yours and also start up your own business. His ATM card can be used to withdraw cash at any ATM or swipe, stores and POS. His cards have a daily withdrawal limit depending on the card balance you order. You can make from $2500 to $50,000.00 In USD and EUR,with his Programmed card. Contact him today for your own order.
    Here are the price list for ATM Cards: Balance Price
    $2700———$155
    $5500——-$255
    $11,000——$500
    $13,000——–$680
    $15,000———$760
    $17,000———$880
    $20,000——–$970
    $25,000——–$1000
    Western Union/Money Gram Transfer Walmart Transfer Removing of name from debit record and criminal Account top-up Bitcoin Investments, he can also help you hack into any software you wish or want us to hack into too. Do contact for more info and also on how you are going to get your order.

• 7
    Sofia wrote on 3 September 2021:

Hi, I just want to share my experience with everyone. I have being hearing about this blank ATM card for a while and i never really paid any interest to it because of my doubts. Until one day i discovered a hacking Mr Frank. he is really good at what he is doing. Back to the point, I inquired about The Blank ATM Card. If it works or even Exist. They told me Yes and that its a card programmed for only money withdraws without being noticed and can also be used for free online purchases of any kind. This was shocking and i still had my doubts. Then i gave it a try and asked for the card and agreed to their terms and conditions.. Four days later I received my card and tried with the closest ATM machine close to me, to my greatest surprise It worked like magic. I was able to withdraw up to $5,000 daily. ATM has really change my life. If you want to contact them, Here is the email : webmaster6099@gmail.com

• 8
    Maria lawrence wrote on 22 September 2021:

I really like your take on the issue. I now have a clear idea on what this matter is all about..
    book wedding videographer