Emerging Subjects Blog

Emerging Subjects of the New Economy: Tracing Economic Growth in Mongolia

Visiting Scholars in the New Year – Marissa Smith, J. Sanchir and G. Badruun

By ucsaar0, on 12 December 2017

The Emerging Subject project at UCL will be hosting three visiting scholars in the New Year, all of whom work on Mongolia:

Dr Marissa Smith
 (marissas23@gmail.com), a social/cultural anthropologist, working in the fields of political and economic anthropology, anthropology of corporations, Inner Asia, Russia, and Romania (more here).  Marissa’s research will elaborate on Mongolian participation in international processes through which Mongolia’s market has been understood and reformed.  Specifically she is analyzing the meeting minutes and pamphlets prepared by the Mongolian Social Democratic Party circa 1989-1990 housed at the Hoover Institute, Stanford University.

Sanchir Jargalsaikhan (sannchir@gmail.com), a political scientist and activist broadly concerned with economic and political development in Mongolia and in the Global South.  Sanchir is the Dean of Research at the Sustainable Development Strategy Institute and the Editor at the Shinjeech – Political Economy Magazine.  His research will focus on two main strands:  1. Visions of development in post-socialist Mongolia: Case of Constitutional amendment, where he will look at implied and explicit narratives of development interwoven in current discussions and debates around the issue of Constitutional amendment, and 2. Moral relations of debt and accountability, where he will follow how discourses on debt and development provide the means by which Mongolians frame social, cultural and political difference.

Badruun Gardi, (badruun@gerhub.org), Founder and CEO of GerHub. Badruun will be collaborating with an interdisciplinary group of experts to explore various possibilities of creating a modern ger that is suitable for a sedentary lifestyle.  His research will focus on historic and contemporary uses of gers as well as the potential to develop ger-inspired structures in various global contexts ranging from emergency relief shelters to refugee housing.  He will also work on a Blog series on ger districts of Ulaanbaatar

Marissa, Sanchir, and Badruun will be working on specific research projects and will hold a weekly reading group  – Making Markets – during their visit at UCL.  If you would like to join the reading group, please email Hanna Malka for more details: h.malka@ucl.ac.uk.

18 Responses to “Visiting Scholars in the New Year – Marissa Smith, J. Sanchir and G. Badruun”

• 1
    White Tower, Yellow Dog: Kheviin Boov as the Centerpiece of Exchange and Transformation – 2018 Tsagaan Sar Gift Index | UCL Emerging Subjects Blog wrote on 1 March 2018:

[…] fieldwork in Sukhbaatar aimag and Ulaanbaatar on post-human landscapes at sites of extraction.  Marissa J. Smith is a Visiting Fellow with the Emerging Subjects group at University College […]

• 2
    UCL Emerging Subjects Tsagaan Sar Gift Index 2018 – Marissa J. Smith, PhD wrote on 3 March 2018:

[…] I’m working in London for several weeks as a visiting scholar at the UCL Emerging Subjects of the New Economy project. […]

• 3
    에볼루션 카지노 wrote on 26 July 2022:

all the technical KINGDOM777 solutions and staff we need for 에볼루션 카지노 operators who provide world

• 4
    betmate wrote on 10 August 2022:

에볼루션접속 먹튀검증 안전노리터 go

• 5
    Cordia Kemmer wrote on 15 August 2022:

For many weeks, I’ll be working in London as a visiting scholar for the UCL Emerging Subjects of the New Economy project. basketball stars

• 6
    Joseph wrote on 27 August 2022:

Great ! I like this website so much it’s really awesome to me nowadays am just waiting for your next update whenever an update feels like happy. Basically I offer website development services in Uk.

• 7
    에볼루션 알가격 wrote on 9 September 2022:

all the technicalss AUGUST1983Y solutions and staff we need for 에볼루션알가격

• 8
    safetoto wrote on 9 September 2022:

Why couldn’t I have the same or similar opinions as you? T^T I hope you also visit my blog and give us a good opinion. 하노이 밤문화

• 9
    Felisa Fix wrote on 27 September 2022:

Great article. Keep up sharing useful content with me. I will stop by this service again soon. You may see educational posts here https://advanced-writer.com/buy-article-critique

• 10
    Lisa wrote on 6 October 2022:

This is really good information. Please keep updating Idle mining empire

• 11
    casinosite wrote on 8 October 2022:

I was looking for another article by chance and found your article casinosite I am writing on this topic, so I think it will help a lot. I leave my blog address below. Please visit once.

• 12
    miklas wrote on 10 October 2022:

Run, jump, climb, slide. Do all it takes to survive in this tough world of vex 3. Much fun!
    vex is the third platform game in the Vex series. The game is full of twists and turns, with a maze of deadly devices and traps to navigate on each level. Avoid spinning blades, spikes, and traps to advance to the next action!

• 13
    carterrojas wrote on 28 October 2022:

For an impressive presentation, you need to have attractive slides with necessary visuals about your presentation topic. In addition, you should know how to deliver the presentation appealingly. For the necessary information, you can go to https://writemypapers4me.net/blog/topics-for-presentaion/ where good topics for presentations are generally discussed.

• 14
    witeli wrote on 9 November 2022:

As part of my role as a visiting scholar for the UCL Emerging Subjects of the New Economy project, I will be spending a significant amount of time in London color tunnel

• 15
    Mike wrote on 21 November 2022:

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along totally agree with what you have said! Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often Slope Unblocked

• 16
    Alexis Rodger wrote on 30 November 2022:

I have been searching for this type of informative Blog for many days, and it seems that my searches completed. Good job We are also providing the best quality and stylish Leather Jacket for men and women with free shipping worldwide.

• 17
    OKBet wrote on 1 December 2022:

This is really a nice and informative, containing all information and also has a great impact on the new technology. Thanks for sharing it,
    OKBet

• 18
    Aira wrote on 1 December 2022:

It’s really a great and useful piece of information. I am happy that you just. shared this useful information with us. Please stay us informed like this.
    먹튀 링크 제이나인
    제이나인 보라카이 카지노
    세부 카지노 제이나인
    제이나인 에볼루션 카지노 가입
    카지노 보증 제이나인
    https://www.j9korea.com/