Trial access to Nineteenth Century Collections Online: Asia and the West: Diplomacy and Cultural Exchange
By Sarah Gilmore, on 24 May 2022
UCL has trial access to Nineteenth Century Collections Online: Asia and the West: Diplomacy and Cultural Exchange from Gale until 22nd June 2022.
Nineteenth Century Collections Online: Asia and the West: Diplomacy and Cultural Exchange features a range of primary source collections related to international relations between Asian countries and the West during the nineteenth century. These documents include government reports, diplomatic correspondence, periodicals, newspapers, treaties, trade agreements, NGO papers, and more, offering a look at the inner workings of international relations.
This resource covers the history of British and US foreign policy and diplomacy; Asian political, economic, and social affairs; the Philippine Insurrection; the Opium Wars; the Boxer Rebellion; missionary activity in Asia; and other topics. Asia and the West also includes personal letters and diaries, offering first-hand accounts and the human side of international politics, as well as nautical charts, maps, ledgers, company records, and expedition and survey reports from 1790 to 1949.
Documents were sourced from the National Archives, Kew; the National Archives, United States; and other international collections and include:
- British Foreign Office: Japan Correspondence, 1856-1905
- Dispatches from U.S. Consuls in Osaka and Hiogo (Kobe), Japan, 1868-1906
- Dispatches from U.S. Consuls in Seoul, Korea, 1886-1906
- Chinese Missionary Gleaner (1853-1859)
- History of the Philippine Insurrection Against the United States, 1899-1903, and Documents
- Relating to the War Department Project for Publishing of History, 1899-1903
- Missionary Files: Methodist, Episcopal Church Missionary Correspondence, 1846-1912 (China, Japan, Korea)
- Notes from the Korean Legation in the United States to the Department of State, 1883-1906
- Philippine Insurgent Records, 1896-1901, with Associated Records of the U.S. War Department, 1900-1906, 1896-1906
- And much more
Please send feedback on this resource to your subject librarian.