1. Science Library
UCL Library Services will be undertaking extensive refurbishment of the ground floor of the Science Library (DMS Watson building) from June to September 2008.
With the generous support of the Wolfson Foundation, UCL Library Services will create a UCL Learning Laboratory.
– The entrance lobby will be widened and improved with a new membership desk and a separate security office.
– To facilitate group study, the Learning Lab will accommodate 11 new soft seating clusters and a group study area, enabled with RoamNet wireless network, for up to 44 users.
– The computer cluster will be extended by 30 new postgraduate cluster computers, in collaboration with UCL Information Systems.
– Wheelchair users will benefit from a new gate to access the library.
– From the entrance lobby, two sets of glazed double doors will invite users into the Learning Lab.
– 5 self-service terminals will be installed for book issue and return.
– New issue and enquiry desks.
Impact of construction work during summer 2008
– The main entrance will be closed for the duration of the works. Access will be through an alternative door on Malet Place.
– The computer cluster area (including the Teaching Cluster) will be closed for 4 weeks. UCL Library Services and Information Systems will temporarily provide 20 cluster machines on the ground floor.
– The Science Issue Desk will be relocated to the 2nd floor for the duration of the works.
– Preparatory work commences 27/05/2008.
– Building work commences 06/2008.
– The area will re-open for the start of the new academic session (September 2008).