Induction 2022 update – Tailored library inductions
By Angela Young, on 28 July 2022
To support library staff responsible for tailored site and subject-specific induction material and activities, the Library Services Induction Working Group has developed guidance and recommendations which we hope colleagues will find helpful. These include:
- Suggested processes for liaising with departments to co-ordinate inductions.
- Details of induction information provided as part of the UCL Student Welcome and Induction and service-wide library induction information and activities.
- Suggestions as to the content of tailored site and subject-specific inductions.
- Recommendations on the delivery and format of tailored site and subject-specific inductions.
- Guidance on sharing best practice.
The recommendations are available on the Library Skills Trainers Team site (send a request to access the Team if you do not already have access):
There are great examples of innovative, engaging, tailored induction material and activities from across Library Services. To encourage the sharing of induction materials, plans, videos, other online content and more, so colleagues may seek inspiration and benefit from the experience of others, we have created an Induction best practice channel within the Library Skills Trainers Team for this purpose so please take a look and join in the conversation.
As mentioned in our previous update, we are inviting all LCCOS staff, irrespective of role and at any grade, to get involved with meeting, greeting and supporting our students whilst experiencing the buzz of campus at the start of term as part of a Library Induction Taskforce. Thank you to those who have already expressed interest – we will be in touch soon.
If you would like to get involved, please complete the Library Induction Taskforce – Expression of interest form, after getting consent from your line manager and prioritising support for induction activities at your own library site as required.
Posted by Angela Young on behalf of the Library Services Induction Working Group.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.