New printers for Library Services staff
By Margaret Stone, on 15 July 2016
New printers for staff are being installed across the Library sites starting today,
Monday 18 July. This is the staff arm of the print@UCL service which has been available to students for some time. We will be adopting two main types of device: some multi-function devices (MFD) which provide printing, scanning and copying; and some new laser printers, for bespoke printing such as from Aleph at issue desks.
The new service is described by ISD as ‘a sustainable and highly available print service that allows UCL’s staff and students to print, copy, scan and fax quickly and easily‘ and aims ‘to improve quality of services through standardisation on newer, more efficient and secure technology, and contribute to a greener and more eco-friendly environment‘.
The timetable for installation is below. Each site has nominated two or more ‘print reps’ who will be the liaison contacts for any technical issues and for managing printer toner. The installation will be done by Xerox, ISD’s contractor, working with the Library IT support team. Print reps will be kept informed of timings and arrangements. In some cases, sites have opted not to receive new printers as they already use print@UCL via student MFDs.
What does this mean for me?
- Xerox staff will provide ‘floor-walking’ assistance on the delivery day, to help you connect to the new printers.
- Non-MFDs will be set up in a very similar fashion to current laser printers.
- If your printer is being replaced by an MFD, you will first need to note its location, which may be different from your existing printer. We have taken into account the forthcoming office moves. There are slightly fewer devices in the new service, but if you print to the print@UCL queue you can retrieve your printing from any print@UCL device (staff or student) and the process is secure as the print is only released when you swipe your UCL ID card.
- If you will be using an MFD, you need to ensure your UCL ID card is registered with the service by tapping it on the card reader of any MFD and following the instructions on the screen. If you have previously done this on a student MFD, you will not need to register again. More information is available on registering your card.
- If you are using a managed UCL computer or desktop, you simply need to select the print-UCL queue when you print your document. You can then retrieve your printing from any MFD, staff or student.
- If you are using a non-managed computer, follow the instructions on setting up the print queue.
Other features of print@UCL
- Print jobs are kept for 24 hours. If they are not released at a device they will be deleted from the queue, but can be retained using the web portal (see below).
- Web portal – review and manage print jobs at https://printaccount.ucl.ac.uk
- Mobile printing – it is possible to print to the service from your mobile device
Reporting problems with print@UCL
Please report any problems when using the service to the ISD service desk, x25000, firstname.lastname@example.org
They will involve local print and paper reps as necessary.
Timetable for installation
Monday 18 July – Science
Tuesday 19 July – Main
Tuesday 19 July – Cruciform
Wednesday 20 July – Special Collections Reading Room
Thursday 28 July – IOE
Tuesday 2 August – Wickford
Tuesday 2 August – Ear Institute
Tuesday 2 August – LaSS
Tuesday 2 August – SSEES
Tuesday 2 August – Bartlett
Wednesday 3 August – Orthopaedics
Wednesday 3 August – Royal Free
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.