New UCL Induction and Probation policy
By Danni Mclaren, on 25 November 2015
The new UCL Induction and Probation policy came into effect for all new employees who commenced on or after 1 September 2015.
The broad aims of the Induction and Probation Policy are to focus on supporting all new employees to UCL, provide consistency of approach to staff induction and probation and align this policy with other UCL processes allowing clear progression to an annual appraisal cycle.
For managers, the policy has been streamlined and reformatted into a new common template. Policy is clearly identified and procedures and additional guidance, including flowcharts and forms, are appendices to the main policy document.
The new policy provides:
- One policy and procedure for all staff groups, with variable length of probation periods
- A one year probationary period for senior academic appointments
- Guidelines for a structured Induction, applicable to all appointments new to UCL
- The inclusion of UCL Information Security, including Data Protection and Freedom of Information and Green Awareness training as mandatory for all new appointments
- Consistency of provision to manage issues of capability or misconduct during the probationary period
There is also supplementary guidance on holding effective and regular one to one meetings in addition to formal probationary reviews to support staff.
Where staff are currently on probation under one of the existing policies, that policy will apply until the probationary period is complete.
The link to the Policy and Induction webpages can be found at http://www.ucl.ac.uk/hr/docs/prob_procedure_links.php
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.