UCL Summer School

Light-hearted Fun in London

By utnvher, on 3 July 2019

Ken Downs from the USA is helping out in the UCL Summer School office this summer and so we’ve asked him to share some thoughts on his London experience, so far.

London has been a place that I’ve wanted to go to for most of my life. It was a dream of mine to go to the 2012 London Olympics (which I didn’t go to) and then in high school, I picked up watching British reality TV programmes (like Big Brother UK and Love Island). Now in university, I am finally here on an abroad program. I’ve been in London for three weeks and during my free time, I’ve had time to explore London, particularly avoiding the touristy things (except for Oxford Street Shopping and the places I stumble upon like Big Ben and the London Eye). I have found the hidden gems of London the most valuable and memorable.

Summer Flowers in Hyde Park

Camden Town (which is just a short 15 minutes from UCL) is full of great restaurants and shops. I ate at Made in Brasil and it was one of the best meals I’ve had in London so far. The vintage and thrifty shops there are so fun. The souvenir stores are very overrated but other stores such as Carpe Diem have got a lot to offer. Also at Camden Market, you can pay homage to soul singer Amy Winehouse. (Fun fact, she lived in Camden also!)

Amy Winehouse Statue in Camden  Market