New webinar series for Autumn 2021: Youth and the City
By UCL Global Youth, on 10 September 2021
The Centre for Global Youth (CGY) is hosting a series of webinars to explore questions of youth and cities. Over 5 weeks during October to November 2021, these 1-hour seminars will bring together a range of guest speakers to share new research and engage in dialogue about how young people use, relate to, challenge and remake urban spaces. Spanning research in cities from the Global North and South, session topics will include precarity, race, social class, activism, music, and youth voice. Contributors will draw on theories from sociology, human geography, anthropology, political science, and beyond. Overall, the aim of the program is to overcome silos of urban sociology, youth studies and allied fields, and encourage further conversations at critical intersections of youth and cities.
When? The webinars will take place on Wednesday from 12-1 on the following dates:
- Week 1: Precarity, youth and the city – 20th October
- Week 2: Race, class, youth and the city – 27th October
- Week 3: Youth activism in the city – 3rd November
- Week 4: Youth voice in the city – involving young people in research and planning and decision-making – 17th November.
- Week 5: Youth and music in the city – 24th November
Confirmed speakers include:
- Dr Tatiana Thieme, UCL Department of Geography
- Professor Paul Watt, Birkbeck University
- Professor Anoop Nayak, Newcastle University
- Dr Tyler Denmead, University of Cambridge
- Dr Sarah Pickard, Université Sorbonne Nouvelle, Paris
- Dena Arya, Nottingham Trent University
- Dr. Joseph Egwurube, University of La Rochelle
- Hannah Sender, Institute for Global Prosperity, UCL
- Tom Western, UCL Department of Geography
- Dr Gabriel Dattatreyan, Goldsmiths
The webinars will also be recorded and later posted on our YouTube channel for those who cannot attend during the live session.
Privacy: For information about UCL’s privacy practices and how UCL uses your data, please see the UCL General Privacy Notice.