Discover UCL

UCL Access and Widening Participation

Summer School 2019

By Amalia Mihailescu, on 12 September 2019

This summer, we had the pleasure of welcoming over 300 students on our Year 12 Residential Summer School programmes and were happy to see how much they have enjoyed their time at UCL. One of our participants has shared a few words with us about his experience and what he liked most about his week as a philosophy student. Here is what they had to say:

My name is Eoin. I am currently preparing to undertake my final year of A-Levels. I am studying History, Maths and Religious Education, while I also completed an AS in French. I have big aspirations; namely to become a clinical psychologist. I do not see this as just a job, but rather a vocation, one which was moulded by where I have grown up and the experiences that I have had. I feel like it is a calling for me, and an area where I can make the most impact with my life.

At the UCL Summer School, I took part in the philosophy programme. I chose it because it largely ties in with what I study in school, and it is a major area of interest for myself.  During the week, we studied many different areas of philosophy, ranging from epistemology to ethics. For example, we studied the philosophy of lying, and the morality around that issue, as well as exploring the ideas of UCL’s spiritual founder, Jeremy Bentham. What made this particular programme even more compelling were the discussions that spawned from the various ethical issues that were brought up, or even considering whether we lived in a simulation like Neo in the Matrix. There is something rather unique about UCL. I felt a real sense of togetherness and a community vibe, something which I cherish greatly coming from a small town in Northern Ireland. The programme also afforded us the opportunity to stay in the university halls, which gave us a rare insight into the day to day lives of students, and the surroundings that many of us will face within the next couple of years. Every night, there were different activities, such as Games Night (where I boastfully deemed myself UCL monopoly champion after a three-and-a-half-hour brawl) and a Thames river cruise. That night was the most fun I had, as it gave me more of an opportunity to talk to people outside my course in a very relaxed setting. After the activities, we would retreat back to the halls and hang out in the common room, playing pool, watching TV, or just making general chit chat.

I had a week that was incredibly busy and hard work, but at the same time the most rewarding and, undoubtedly, the best week of my life. I met some of the most amazing people I have ever encountered, whom I plan to visit very soon. The student leaders were absolutely incredible for providing us a unique insight into the UCL life and what it truly means to be a UCL student. The Summer School team were also beyond helpful, extraordinarily friendly, engaged with every student and offered me this amazing opportunity to write for them.

So, why should you apply to the UCL Summer School?  For me, you will not find anything else like this. It was a complete experience. I urge everyone to apply for this, no matter how unsure you are or shy you may be. I went and did not know what to expect or if I would fit in or not, but if you have big ambitions, you owe it to yourself to try absolutely everything to fulfil those ambitions. The UCL Summer School is just the first step towards turning your dream into a reality.