Software for success: Choosing the right software for your research project
By Katy O Foster, on 28 September 2023
Planning and completing a research project can be an exciting yet daunting prospect.
For the usual range of tasks – collecting, analysing and presenting data, writing up and managing literature – there is an even larger range of software options to help you achieve your goals. With multiple options available, it can be difficult to decide which is best for your project and the task at hand.
If you haven’t thought about what tools you will use, or if you have thought about it but you’re just not sure what to do, the Software for Success series of digital skills training courses is for you. There will be demonstrations of different tools and approaches with guidance and discussion of what tool is best for the job. If you think you know what software you are going to use, then we invite you to come along and be challenged: there may be tools on offer that could smooth the way to a successful research project.
Software for success sessions happening this term:
- Data collection – discover which survey tool is the best one for your research project:
- Analysing data – an overview of the tools available:
- Presenting data – different tools available for visually presenting your data:
- Presenting data – which is the best chart type for your data?
- Writing – is there life beyond Word? Is there any reason to go there? How do you cope with fussy formatting requirements?
- Managing literature – imagine a world where your library and database searches link seamlessly with your citation system and a database of annotated PDFs. That world can be yours:
Need help booking?
Further instructions on how to book courses can be found here: How to book a course on MyLearning
Discover more digital skills training
The Digital Skills Development team at UCL offer a range of training courses to meet your digital needs. Find out more here: Digital Skills Development UCL
For any questions on Digital Skills Development at UCL, email firstname.lastname@example.org