Late Summer Assessments in Moodle – Summer 19/20
By Jason R Norton, on 10 June 2020
This summer (19/20) sees a repeat of the processes introduced last year with regards to the running of Late Summer Assessments.
A snapshot of Moodle 19/20 will be taken on 13th July 2020, 9pm-11pm. Moodle will be unavailable during this period.
Two live instances of Moodle will then be available:
- Moodle LSA(snapshot) 19/20 – to be used ONLY for Late Summer Assessments. This will remain live until 30th November 2020.
- Moodle 20/21.
Moodle use and Late Summer Assessments
To facilitate the combination of required end of year tasks and the running of Late Summer Assessments, all Late Summer Assessments should take place within the 19/20 Moodle Snapshot (called Moodle LSA 19/20). This will be created on 13th July 2020 and made available no later than 15th July 2020.
Why are we asking you to follow this guidance?
- All associated course content and student/cohort data will remain consistent and associated with the correct Moodle snapshot, in this case Moodle 19/20.
- Completing Late Summer Assessments within the 19/20 snapshot allows all the “live” Moodle courses to be reset and normal end of year course activities to take place from 15th July 2020. Course teams will therefore be able to begin preparing courses for the 20/21 academic year.
- Additional Moodle course creation is kept to a minimum within the Moodle 20/21 instance and aids in Moodle housekeeping activities (reducing dead/unwanted courses, improving long term database performance).
What are we doing to facilitate this change?
- The Moodle 19/20 Snapshot will remain read/write until the 30th November 2020.
- Digital Education will make a landing screen/hub available as we did last year with a two Moodle selection page to direct students to snapshot Moodle for Late Summer Assessments.
- Digital Education will create a global banner within “live” Moodle directing students to the snapshot for the duration of the Late Summer Assessment period.
- Digital Education will place other redirection adverts/links within “live” Moodle to highlight to students that Late Summer Assessment activities can be found within the 19/20 snapshot.
How can you prepare for Late Summer Assessments?
If you have Late Summer Assessments taking place and you wish to prepare assessment material/submission points in advance of the Moodle snapshot being taken on 13th July 2020, we recommend the following:
- Within any course where Late Summer Assessments will be taking place, create a hidden section and place any material or submission points within that section. This can be done in Moodle 19/20 up until the 10th July 2020. Alternatively, it can be done within the 19/20 snapshot, which will be available by 15th July 2020.
- When you are ready to make Late Summer Assessment material/submission points available, simply unhide the section within the course on the 19/20 snapshot.
Details on how to create and hide sections within Moodle can be found in the miniguide – Moodle Course Structure .
A list of commonly asked questions about Late Summer Assessments is also available.
For any questions regarding Moodle and Late Summer Assessments please email email@example.com.