Teaching continuity: Staff development sessions for Moodle, Lecturecast, and Collaborate
By Joanna Stroud, on 13 March 2020
UCL’s teaching continuity efforts include resources and information to the support teaching and assessment of our students as the coronavirus (Covid-19) outbreak accelerates. In addition to extensive guidance material the Digital Education team will offer a series of staff development sessions for Moodle, Lecturecast, and Blackboard Collaborate. These sessions will be delivered remotely via Blackboard Collaborate and are available to all UCL staff. No booking is necessary.
**We will update this post with sessions as they are scheduled, so please check back regularly if you are interested in attending.**
General help: Moodle
Moodle is our primary learning platform and hosts a range of supported activities and tools to enable teaching online. These sessions will be offered on a drop in basis with no specific session aims. No booking is required for the sessions listed below.
- 3rd April 2020, 2pm-4pm (120 minutes)
Lectures and instructional material: Lecturecast Universal Capture Personal
It is recommended that staff pre-record any material that is typically delivered as a lecture using Lecturecast Universal Capture Personal, rather than attempt to stream them live. These sessions will provide an introduction to the tool and highlight potential best practices for video recordings. No booking is required for the sessions listed below.
- 7th April 2020, 11am-12pm (60 minutes)
Seminars and group study: Blackboard Collaborate
It is possible for seminars and group study classes to continue as live, synchronous events and be recorded for review by any students who are unable to attend using Blackboard Collaborate. These sessions will introduce Collaborate functionality, demonstrate how to create a session within Moodle, and highlight some potential teaching approaches. No booking is required for the sessions listed below.
- 1st April 2020, 10am-11.30am (60 minutes + 30 minutes Q&A)
Practical Online Teaching Tips
Themed drop-in session to learn about, discuss, and exchange practical online teaching tips. Sessions on week commencing 23rd March will be structured with:
- 10 minutes presentation of a tip;
- 50 minutes Q&A and open forum.
- 23rd March 2020, 2pm: Keep it simple – tips for online session patterns;
- 24th March 2020, 2pm: Keep it clean – tips for your Moodle course structure;
- 25th March 2020, 2pm: Keep it accessible – hacks to improve inclusion;
- 26th March 2020, 2pm: Keep it manageable – running online discussions;
- 27th March 2020, 2pm: Keep it fun – social aspects in Moodle and Collaborate.
Sessions will be moderated by Tim Neumann from the UCL Knowledge Lab and occasional colleagues.
Sessions on week commencing 30th March will be structured with:
- 15 minutes presentation of a tip;
- 15 minutes Q&A and open forum (extended as needed).
- 31st March 2020, 2pm: Issues with and tips for Blackboard Collaborate, with Louise Green and Katherine Koulle (IOE Academic Writing Centre);
- 1st April 2020, 2pm: Wellbeing – designing wellbeing into your online course, with Sam Ahern (UCL Digital Education);
- 3rd April 2020, 2pm: Forums – designing discussion prompts, with Dr Eileen Kennedy (UCL Knowledge Lab).
No booking required.
Previous sessions available via Media Central.
- Moodle Resource Centre
- Lecturecast Resource Centre: Lecturecast Universal Capture Personal
- Blackboard Collaborate Resource Centre
If you need more support with any of these tools, please complete the online form for teaching and assessment continuity.