‘Health Chatter’: Research Department of Behavioural Science and Health Blog

Why some girls don’t get the HPV vaccine and why others don’t get all doses

By rmjdafo, on 6 January 2016

Girls in year 8 in the UK (aged 12 and 13) are offered a vaccine that protects against human papillomavirus or HPV. While HPV is very common, in some people it can cause cancers of the cervix, mouth and throat, vulva, vagina, penis and anus. The vaccine protecting against HPV was originally given in three doses when the immunisation programme first started, however it is now given in two doses over at least six months. Most girls in England get the HPV vaccine (around 87% of them), but as we’ve written before, uptake of the vaccine is lower among girls from Black and Asian Minority Ethnic backgrounds. We also know that more girls get the first dose of the vaccine than complete the series. This is concerning as the vaccine works best if girls get all doses. However, we do not yet properly understand why some girls are not getting the vaccine and why some girls do not complete the series. With this information we can identify targets for information campaigns or wider policy changes that can help establish and maintain high coverage.

In a study that was published at the end of last year, funded by Cancer Research UK, we spoke to girls who had been offered the HPV vaccine as part of the routine immunisation programme to find out why some girls had not got any doses of the HPV vaccine and why some had started, but not completed the series. The girls were recruited from 13 schools in London as part of a larger questionnaire study (some of the findings have been reported already here and here). Girls were asked if they had received the HPV vaccine and if they had, they were also asked how many doses they had received. We grouped girls as being unvaccinated (they had received no doses) or under-vaccinated (they had started the series, but had not finished it). They were then asked to explain why they were unvaccinated or under-vaccinated, and we categorised their responses using content analysis.

There were 259 girls who were either unvaccinated (202 girls) or under-vaccinated (57 girls) who also gave us a reason to explain why this was the case. These girls came from a diverse range of ethnic backgrounds; around 31% were from White backgrounds, 29% from Black backgrounds and 20% from Asian backgrounds (around 20% were from an ethnic background other than White, Black or Asian, which were mainly mixed backgrounds, and 2% did not tell us their ethnicity).

Reasons for being unvaccinated

The most common reason that girls gave to explain why they had not had the HPV vaccine was that they did not have consent from their parents (41% of girls said this).

“My mother didn’t want me to have it, even though I did” (Black Caribbean; self-reported ethnicity)

Other common reasons included concerns about safety (reported by 25% of girls) and believing that they did not need the vaccine (19% said this).

“My mum didn’t trust the vaccine because it was new” (Turkish).

“Because I’m not going to have sex before marriage” (Pakistani)

Reasons for being under-vaccinated

Administrative problems were the most common reason that girls gave to explain why they had not finished the vaccine series (51% gave this as a reason), including being absent from school on the day of vaccination and some did not know that multiple doses were needed.

“I never got round to having the 3rd one [dose] because I switched schools” (Indian).

Health reasons, including girls believing that they had conditions which meant they should not complete the series (9%) and procedural issues, including fear of needles (5%), were also reported.

“I hate needles” (Mixed White / Black Caribbean)

“After the first vaccine I started to feel lighted headed” (Mixed White / Black Caribbean)

Reasons given by girls from different ethnic backgrounds

Compared to girls from other ethnic backgrounds, girls from White backgrounds were most likely to say that they were concerned about safety. Girls from Black and Asian backgrounds were most likely to say that they did not think that they needed the vaccine.

Summary

In this study we tried to find out the reasons why girls from a diverse range of ethnic backgrounds have not had the HPV vaccine or have not completed the series. Among girls who had not had the vaccine at all, concerns about the safety of the vaccine and believing that they did not need the vaccine were commonly reported. Girls who had not finished series said that they were absent from school when the vaccine was offered, did not know that multiple doses were needed and felt they had health issues that meant they should not have all doses. There was some suggestion that girls from White backgrounds were most commonly concerned about vaccine safety and that girls from Asian and Black backgrounds were most likely to believe that they did not need the vaccine. These findings can be used to tailor interventions to increase informed participation in the HPV vaccination programme among girls who are currently unvaccinated or do not complete the series. This will be the next step in one of our current programmes of work funded by Cancer Research UK.

References

Forster, A.S., Waller, J., Bowyer, H., Marlow, L. Girls’ explanations for being unvaccinated or under vaccinated against human papillomavirus: a content analysis of survey response. BMC Public Health. 2015;15:1278. doi 10.1186/s12889-015-2657-6

19 Responses to “Why some girls don’t get the HPV vaccine and why others don’t get all doses”

• 1
    twollier moore wrote on 11 February 2021:

God bless Dr. Momoh for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn’t satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched out some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. Momoh, how he cured HERPES,DIABETES,HIV,and CANCER with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 14 days later i was cured from HERPES, Dr. Momoh truly you are great, do you need his help also? Why don’t you contact him through his EMAIL: dr.momoh9@gmail.com call or whatsApp him on +2347083724098

• 2
    Nichole Bernier wrote on 3 March 2021:

I was cured of herpes simplex virus, I am so happy, The Doctor’s email ____________________________Robinsonbuckler11 @ {{gmail}} .com…………https://www.robinbuckler. com}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

-GENITAL AND ORAL HERPES
    -HPV
    -DIABETES
    -WEAK ERECTION
    -VIRGINAL PROBLEM
    -WHOOPING COUGH
    – HEPATITIS A,B AND C
    -COLD SORE
    -LOWER RESPIRATORY INFECTION
    -LOW SPERM COUNT
    -STAPHYLOCOCCUS AUREUS
    -STROKE
    -IMPOTENCE
    -PILE
    -HYPERTENSION
    -MENOPAUSE DISEASE
    -CANCER
    -SHINGLES
    -FIBROID
    -BARENESS/INFERTILITY….

• 3
    cammie bowden wrote on 2 April 2021:

HOW I GOT CURED FROM  HPV WARTS Greetings to the general public, i want to tell about how i was cured of HPV disease by a Doctor called DR MOMOH i was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HPV and i saw comment of people talking about how DR MOMOH cured them. I Was scared because i never believed in the Internet but i was convince to give him a try because i having no hope of been cured of HPV so i decided to contact him with his email that was listed on the comment when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without problem, my HPV result came out negative. I pray for you God will give you everlasting life, you shall not die before your time for being a sincere and great man. Am so happy, you can also contact him if you have any problem Email: dr.momoh9@gmail.com website on: https://drmomohherbaltreatment.wordpress.com   or whatsApp him on this number +2347083724098 1. LOVE SPELL 2. ALS CURE 3. HEPATITIS B 4. HIV/AIDS CURE 5. HERPES CURE 6 SPIRITUAL HEALERS

• 4
    Sly Mary wrote on 11 April 2021:

I have been suffering from Herpes for the past 3 years and 8 months, and ever since then i have been taking series of treatment but there was no improvement until i came across testimonies of Dr Ero on how he has been curing different people from different diseases all over the world, then i contacted him as well. After our conversation he sent me the medicine which i took according to his instructions. When i was done taking the herbal medicine i went for a medical checkup and to my greatest surprise i was cured from Herpes. My heart is so filled with joy. If you are suffering from Herpes or any other disease you can contact Dr Ero today on his WhatsApp him on +2348140916349 or Email: dreromoncaregiver@gmail.com Dr. Ero also cures: 1. HIV / AIDS 2. HERPES 1/2 3. CANCER 4. ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease) 5. Hepatitis B 6. chronic pancreatic 7. emphysema 8. COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease

• 5
    Elizabeth wrote on 2 June 2021:

I got Diagnosed with Herpes, I have be dealing with Herpes for the past 2 years. On till I got review online about natural cure people testifies how Dr.Omobhude cure them with his herbal treatment. And I order the treatment, after taking it for 14 days I totally got cured with Dr.Omobhude herbal treatment. I’m recommending you diagnosis with herpes should get this treatment and be cured of it you can contact him on Dr.Omobhude also cure the following virus and many more… 1} Cancer2} Diabetes3} Hepatitis4} fibroid5} herpes6} Lupus7} teethache} you can reach him on Email doctoromobhudeherbalhome6060@gmail.com or you can whatsapp him on +2348059831931.

• 6
    CAILLO LISA wrote on 8 June 2021:

This is another testimony on how Chief Dr Lucky cured my HIV disease. Do you need a cure for your HIV disease? Do you want to be cured from your cancer disease? Or you want to be free from any type of disease. Kindly visit his website https://chiefdrluckyherbaltherapy.wordpress.com/ . He just cured my HIV disease and I’m very grateful to him, he is the only herbalist that can cure you.  
    WhatsApp number : +2348132777335 
    Via Email : chiefdrlucky@gmail.com
    Thank you all for reading,
    God bless”

• 7
    Emma wrote on 12 June 2021:

I have been suffering from (HERPES) disease for the last two years and had constant pain, especially in my knees. During the first year,I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.This disease started circulate all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information concerning the prevention of this disease, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (Hepatitis B and Cancer) by this Man Dr GODWIN and she also gave the email address of this man and advise we should contact him for any sickness that he would be of help, so i wrote to Dr GODWIN telling him about my (HERPES Virus) he told me not to worry that i was going to be cured!! hmm i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me as the Dr GODWIN me that i have cured,after some time i went to my doctor to confirmed if i have be finally healed behold it was TRUE, So friends my advise is if you have such sickness or any other at all you can email Dr GODWIN on :(drgodwinsolutinonhome@gmail.com or WhatsApp +2348054615060) sir i am indeed grateful for the help i will forever recommend you to my friends!!!
    https://drgodwinsolutionho.wixsite.com/drgodwinsolutionhome

• 8
    Roselyn Mendoza wrote on 24 July 2021:

My name is roselyn mendoza, from California burbanks, i am so happy today because I am free from Herpes. I have been having this Disease since the past Three years now, and I have passed through many different processes in getting cured from the diseases of the Disease but nothing was working out. A friend of mine introduced me to Herbal Health Doctor called Dr Zaku, who sent me herpes Disease herbal remedy and my life get transformed and everything is fine and okay with me. Till now I have been going to check up and it is now going to four months and I am still negative…Thanks to Dr Zaku, I will never stop telling the world about your good work..Contact Dr Zaku on Email: drzakuherbalhome@gmail.com via WHATSAPP +2349024407441

• 9
    Silvia wrote on 8 August 2021:

So many people have lost their lives because of the doctor report, doctor is not God and they do not have the final say about your health report so do not believe the doctor, they only say what they know and that is not final. i almost committed suicide because i was told i have human papillomavirus and also there is no cure for it, but today i am 100% healed and healthy of doctor agumba herbal medicine, i have refer several people to this tradomedical doctor for cure and he has never fail. contact doctor agumba today on his cure  for hpv or hsv and your life will be back again  whatsapp/call… +2349032173881  or  his email  address:  dragumbasolutioncenter@gmail.com

• 10
    john wrote on 13 August 2021:

Do you need credit or partnership in funding your project or starting up business email us…

johnleemill12345@gmail.com

• 11
    vinny wrote on 16 September 2021:

I have been suffering from (Herpes Infection)  for the last 2 years and had constant pain, especially in my knees. During the first year, I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.This disease started circulating all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago i was searching on the internet if i could get any information concerning the prevention of this disease, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (Herpes Infection) by this Man Dr Edidia and she also gave the email address of this man and advise we should contact him for any sickness that he would be of help, so i wrote to Dr.Edidia telling him
    about my (Herpes Infection) he told me not to worry that i was going to be cured!! hmm
    i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me as the Dr.Edidia assured me that i have cured, after some time i went to my doctor to confirmed if i have be finally healed behold it was TRUE So friends my advise is if you have such sickness or any other at all you can email him on (dredidiaherbalhome@gmail.com) or call his mobile or WHATSAPP (+2349126592869) I am indeed grateful for the help, i will forever recommend
    you to my friends!!my private email: vinnyjude02@gmail.com

DOCTOR EDIDIA CAN ALSO HELP YOU WITH ALL THIS FOLLOWING PROBLEM
    1. HIV/AIDS
    2. HERPES
    3. ALS
    4. Hepatitis
    5.LOVE SPELL
    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE GOOD WORK..

HOW DR EDIDIA CURE MY HERPES INFECTION HIS HERBAL MEDICINE IS VERY POWERFUL TO CURE ANY DEADLY ILLNESS MORE INFORMATION WEB/SITE https://dredidiaherbalhome.wixsite.com/dredidiaherbalhome FACEBOOK PAGE:https://www.facebook.com/Dr-Edidia-Herbal-Cure-105172711331669?_rdc=1&_rdr

• 12
    kemale wrote on 5 October 2021:

i already gave up on ever getting cured of HSV2 because i have try many treatment none of them work out for me i have go to different hospital they always tell me same thing there is no cure for herpes when i came across a post about Dr Goodwin, in the net from a lady called Angela i contacted him and he reassured me with him herbal medicine which i took according to the way he instructed, that how i was cured. I doubted at first because i have been to a whole lot of reputable doctors, tried a lot of medicines but none was able to cure me. so i decided to listen to him and he commenced treatment, and under two weeks i was totally fee from #Herpes. i want to say a very big thank you to DR godwin for what he has done in my life. feel free to leave him a message on email drgodwinsolutionhome@gmail.com and also WhatsApp him +2348054615060.. He can still be able to help you with this herbs medicine: 1…ALS CURE/DIABETES CURE/EPILESY/HPV

• 13
    Madeleine wrote on 5 October 2021:

This herbal Doctor cures all kind of deadly diseases including, At first i doubted if it was real but decided to give it a try and i contacted this herbal Doctor on email and explain my problem to him and he told me that he is going to prepare a herbal medicine for me which he did and he sent it to me through UPS service, when i received this herbal medicine, he gave me instructions on how to use it, after taken the medicine as instructed, i went for check up and the result shows negative and i was treated of this deadly disease within a 2 week, I am now free from Herpes. You can contact him …………….Robinsonbucler@gmail.com……

GENITAL WARTS/HERPES.
    ERETILE DYSFUNCTION
    INFERTILITY.
    FIBROID
    SHORTSIGHTEDNESS
    H.P.V TYPE 1 TYPE 2 TYPE 3 AND TYPE 4. TYPE 5
    HEPATITIS A B and C.

• 14
    Silvia wrote on 9 October 2021:

So many people have lost their lives because of the doctor report, doctor is not God and they do not have the final say about your health report so do not believe the doctor, they only say what they know and that is not final. i almost committed suicide because i was told i have human papillomavirus and also there is no cure for it, but today i am 100% healed and healthy of doctor agumba herbal medicine, i have refer several people to this tradomedical doctor for cure and he has never fail. contact doctor agumba today on his cure  for hpv or hsv and your life will be back again  whatsapp/call… +2349032173881 or his email  address: dragumbasolutioncenter@gmail.com

• 15
    Lucy Morgan wrote on 22 October 2021:

Quick Cure I will advise you to contact Dr KHAM AT (dr.khamcaregiver@gmail.com )
    Where all problems are solved without stress and delay. My family was getting drawn into sickness, we were all affected one after the other and medical prescriptions were not helping us. Till a friend’s doctor directs us to contact Dr KHAM for quick cure and total cleaning. Dr KHAM is a miracle worker. It is never too late with Dr KHAM contact him today with { dr.khamcaregiver@gmail.com } you can also contact him on Whatsapp +2348159922297,
    He also Cure
    1) HIV/Aids Virus
    2) Hepatitis B and C
    3) Herpes
    4) Cancer
    5) ZIKA VIRUS
    6) COPD
    7) STROKE.
    8) Erectile Dysfunction
    9) Trichinosis
    10) Chlamydia
    11) Gonorrhea
    12) HPV
    13) Syphilis

• 16
    faith mary wrote on 11 November 2021:

I am really happy that i have been cured from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) with the herbal medicine of  Dr MOMOH , i have been suffering from this disease for the past 3 years and 4 mouth without solution until i came across the email of this doctor who have cure so many people with his herbal medicine, i also choose to give him a chance to help me and my husband, he told me what to do and i kindly did it, and he gave us his herbal medicine and direct me on how to use it, i also follow his instructions for use and he ask us to go for a check up after 1 week and 5days which i did, to my greatest surprise our result came out as negative, we are really happy that there is someone like this doctor who is ready to help anytime any day. To all the readers and viewers that is doubting this testimony, stop doubting it and contact this doctor if you really have one and see if he will not actually help you. i am not a stupid woman that i will come out to the public and start saying what someone have not done for me and i know that there are some people out there who are really suffering and hurting their family just because of these diseases so you can Email him on dr.momoh9@gmail.com OR WHATSAPP him on +2347083724098  he also told me that he has cure for these diseases listed below . HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS. .DIABETES . CANCER .HEPATITIS .HIV/AIDS Thank you for your time  

• 17
    pedro job wrote on 13 November 2021:

Hello everyone i was diagnosed of herpes simplex virus for about 8 months ,I’ve lost all hope and my doctor said there is no possible cure and I have been taken antiviral to sustain myself I have had several out break from the time I was diagnosed till I got to know about Dr.Ebhota through a friend who he cured of Herpes . I contacted him and he sent me his herbal remedy which I took as he directed me to do for some days and I went to the hospital after consuming his Herbal medicine and I was confirmed Herpes Negative after 8 months of pains and depression , it was indeed a miracle, Dr.ebhota is a great man, I have heard so much about how he has help lot of people, He also cure ALS, HEPATITIS B, CANCER, HERPES, DIABETES and lots more. If you have any issues you can contact him for help add him on whatsapp +2348089535482. or via email:Email drebhotasolution@gmail.com

• 18
    juwan james wrote on 14 November 2021:

TESTIMONY ON HOW I GOT CURED TOTALLY FROM HERPES VIRUS BY DR ISHIAKU HERBS

I want to inform the public how I was cured of herpes simplex Virus by a herbal Dr called ISHIAKU. I visited different hospitals but they gave me a list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which are very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedies on Herpes and I saw comments of people talking about how dr ishiaku cured them. I Was scared because I never believed in the Internet but I was convinced to give him a try because I had no hope of being cured of herpes so I decided to contact him on his email, i searched his email on the net and I saw a lot of people testifying about his goodness. When I contacted him he gave me hope and sent a Herbal medicine to me that I took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without any problems, my HERPES result came out negative. You can contact him on his email: (ishiakuherbalcure@yahoo.com)or what – sapp him via (+2348180828544) and get all your problems solved.

1)Sickness of any kind
    2)Help to cure HEPATITIS B, DIABETICS, HIV
    3)Marriage problem, To Re-unit or to cast a spell
    4)Pregnancy problem
    5)Financial problem and Job promotion
    6)bad mouth odour or tooth problem
    7)eye or ear problem
    8) enlargement of manhood

Website: http://www.ishiakuherbalcure.Wordpress.com

• 19
    Linda Greg wrote on 18 November 2021:

I am so happy, i never believe i will be this happy again in life, I was working as an air-hoster ( cabby crew ) for 3years but early this year, i loose my job because of this deadly disease called Herpes virus (HSV), I never felt sick or have any symptom, till all workers were ask to bring their doctor report, that was how i got tested and i found out that am HSV positive that make me loose my job, because it was consider as an STD and is incurable disease, i was so depress was thinking of committing suicide, till i explain to a friend of mine, who always said to me a problem share is a problem solved, that was how she directed me to DR.USELU, that was how i contacted him and get the medication from this doctor and i got cured for real, I just went back to my work and they also carry out the test to be real sure and i was negative. Please contact this doctor if you are herpes positive or any STD diseases his email is: dr.uselucaregvier@gmail.com or you can call or whatsApp his mobile number on +2347052898482