Talks and publications
- Causer, Tim, and Wallace, Valerie. ‘Building a volunteer community: results and findings from Transcribe Bentham‘, Digital Humanities Quarterly, vol. 6, no. 2, 2012.
- Causer, Tim, Tonra, Justin, and Wallace, Valerie. ‘Transcription maximized; expense minimized: crowdsourcing and editing The Collected Works of Jeremy Bentham‘, Literary and Linguistic Computing, vol. 27, no. 2, 2012.
- Achaleke, Beatrice, Graham Harwood, Aaron Koblin, Liu Yan, and Tiago Peixoto, ‘Guinea Pigs and Apples: Digital Communities category jury summary”, in Hannes Leopoldseder, Christine Schöpf, and Gerfried Stocker, Cyberarts 2011: the International Compendium of the Prix Ars Electronica 2011. Hatje Cantz, 2011.
- Moyle, Martin, Tonra, Justin, and Wallace, Valerie. “Manuscript transcription by crowdsourcing: Transcribe Bentham.” LIBER Quarterly. 20:3 (2011).
- ‘”Many hands make light work. Many hands together make merry work”: Transcribe Bentham and Crowdsourcing Manuscript Collections’, Penn Humanities Forum, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, 27 September 2013.
- Terras, Melissa, ‘Crowdsourcing or crowdsifting? Results and experiences from Transcribe Bentham‘, Social Digital Scholarly Editing conference, University of Saskatchewan, Canada, 12 July 2013.
- Terras, Melissa, ‘Digital Humanities and the Crowd: Using Technology for Outreach and Engagement’, Faculté des sciences sociales et politiques, Laboratoire de cultures et humanités digitales de l’Université de Lausanne, 13 June 2013.
- Causer, Tim, ‘Transcribe Bentham: crowdsourced manuscript transcription’, Networks of Innovation workshop, King’s College London, 24 May 2013.
- Tonra, Justin, ‘Manuscript transcription: the habits of crowds’, The Limits of the Archive: Classification, Management, Digitization workshop, University College Cork, 16 May 2013.
- Causer, Tim, ‘Transcribe Bentham: crowdsourced transcription of a scholarly edition’, Easy Tools for Difficult Texts workshop, Huygens Institute, 18-19 April 2013.
- Causer, Tim, ‘Transcribe Bentham: a participatory initiative‘, Impacts of Crowdsourcing workshop, Oxford Internet Institute, University of Oxford, 8 April 2013.
- Causer, Tim, ‘Crowdsourcing experts panel’, Market Research Society Annual Conference 2013, London, 19 March 2013.
- Terras, Melissa, ‘Digital Humanities and the Crowd: Using Technology for Outreach and Engagement‘, University of Cambridge, Centre for Research in the Arts, Social Sciences, and Humanities, 4 March 2013.
- Causer, Tim, ‘Transcribe Bentham‘, Twenty-First Century Curatorship series, British Library, London, 28 February 2013.
- Terras, Melissa, ‘Digital Humanities and the crowd: opportunities for public engagement’, Digital Humanities Lecture Series, University of Darmstadt, 7 February 2013.
- Causer, Tim, ‘Transcribe Bentham‘, Networks of Regional Innovation: The Case of the Atlantic Region Policy Workshop, St Anne’s College, Oxford, 15 November 2012.
- Schofield, Philip, ‘Transcribe Bentham: an experiment in scholarly crowdsourcing’, Digital Humanities Lecture Series, University of Darmstadt, 8 November 2012.
- Terras, Melissa, ‘Digital Humanities and the crowd: the potential for digital engagement and outreach’, Exploring Digital Humanities, University of Ghent, 10-13 October 2012.
- Terras, Melissa, ‘Digital Humanities and the Crowd: using technology for outreach and engagement‘, Digital Arts and Humanities Institute, NUI Galway, 20 September 2012.
- Terras, Melissa, ‘Transcribe Bentham: Crowdsourcing or Crowdsifting?’. Community-powered digital transformations in learning workshop, Digital Transformations, 21 June 2012, UCL.
- Terras, Melissa, ‘Transcribe Bentham: Issues in Crowdsourcing’. The Oxford e-Research Centre Tuesday Seminar Series, University of Oxford, 12 June 2012.
- Causer, Tim, ‘Transcribe Bentham: editions based on crowdsourcing technologies’, LIBER Promoting Access to Manuscript Content conference, Paris, 29-31 May 2012.
- Causer, Tim, ‘Transcribe Bentham‘, AHRC Crowdsourcing Workshop, King’s College London, 28 May 2012.
- Terras, Melissa, ‘The Bentham Papers Transcription Initiative: Transcribe Bentham’, Guest Lecture, University of Edinburgh Library, 24 February 2012.
- Wallace, Valerie, ‘Transcribing Jeremy Bentham’ on the The Future Is Here: Digital Methods in Research and Teaching in History panel, American Historical Association Annual Meeting, 7 January 2012.
- Terras, Melissa, ‘Crowdsourcing the Digital Edition: The Transcribe Bentham Project’. DISH (Digital Strategies for Heritage) Conference, Transcribing Heritage Documents session http://www.dish2011.nl/sessions/transcribing-heritage-documents. Rotterdam, December 2011
- Causer, Tim, Presentation to the Welsh Wills Online Expert’s Forum, National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth, 11 November 2011
- Causer, Tim, Presentation to the Digital Communities winner’s forum, Ars Electronica festival. Brucknerhaus, Linz, 4 September 2011.
- Wallace, Valerie, and Tim Causer. “Character Journey: the Story of the Supertranscriber.” Beyond Collections 2011. University of Oxford, 26 May 2011. Podcast available here, and the video here.
- Wallace, Valerie, and Tim Causer. “Crowdsourced transcription: some findings from the Transcribe Bentham project.” Archives Discovery Forum 2011. The National Archives, 2 March 2011.
- Schofield, Philip, and Valerie Wallace. “Transcribe Bentham: Taking the Bentham Edition into the Digital Age.” London Seminar in Digital Text and Scholarship. Institute of English Studies, School of Advanced Study, University of London. 10 February 2011.
- Schofield, Philip, and Justin Tonra. “Transcription Maximized; Expense Minimized: Crowdsourcing and Editing The Collected Works of Jeremy Bentham.” Textual Scholarship Seminar. School of Advanced Studies, University of London. 12 October 2010.
- Terras, Melissa. “Present, Not Voting: Digital Humanities in the Panopticon.” Digital Humanities 2010. King’s College London, London. 10 July 2010. Eprints.
- Moyle, Martin, Justin Tonra, and Valerie Wallace. “Crowdsourcing manuscript transcription: the Transcribe Bentham project.” LIBER 2010 Annual Conference. Aarhus University, Aarhus. 30 June 2010. Eprints.
- Terras, Melissa. “Crowdsourcing Cultural Heritage: UCL’s Transcribe Bentham Project.” Seeing Is Believing: New Technologies For Cultural Heritage. International Society for Knowledge Organization. University College London, London. 9 June 2010. Eprints.
- Tonra, Justin, and Valerie Wallace. “Bentham Papers Transcription Initiative.” JISC Content Programme Meeting. Hoxton Hotel, London. 19 May 2010. Eprints.