Interruptions to Library Services systems, Monday 31st July – Wednesday 2nd August
By Nayna Patel, on 24 July 2017
As part of the ISD datacentre migration project, the live Aleph server will be migrated on Monday 31 July. This means that Aleph will be unavailable for two periods:
- Monday 31 July 03:00 – Thursday 3 Aug 09:00
- Monday 14 August 09:00-15:00
We have allowed a large window for the migration in order to complete standard checks and ensure thorough testing of all migrated functionality, allowing for any anomalies to be addressed. The Digital Libraries Team has appreciated the work of colleagues on testing the server migrations so far, including the Aleph test server, as this work has contributed to a better understanding within the ISD project team and Ex Libris of the unique challenges of migrating these services into the new datacentre environment.
Staff at our desks, help, and service points will be available to provide assistance during this time.
During the Aleph outage, services will be affected in the following ways.
- Self-service machines will be unavailable
- Loans and returns will be available at our service desks
- Renewals will be not be possible
- Laptops will not be able to be borrowed or returned
- No items will be due during this period and fines will not be charged
It will not be possible to:
- Make or cancel reservations
- Place Inter-Library Loan requests
- Book a study room
- Change your PIN
- ILL items will not be available for collection
- Renew loans
- View your library account information
- Primo Central: some resources that are included in Primo Central require authentication for searching off-site; these will inaccessible
- See current item availability *
All other aspects of the Explore service such as e-resource and Digital Collections record retrieval should not be affected.
* Please note: classmarks and journal holdings information can be seen in Explore’s ‘Details’ tab. You can also use the Copac service to search a recent version of the library holdings.
No registration of new members, or renewal of accounts for existing members, will be possible during the system outage. Applications for access / renewal of accounts should be made as normal after the 2nd August.
- It will not be possible to view item availability when using the UCL Reading Lists service
- The Store Request Form will work as normal during the outage
- The Library component of UCL Go will be unavailable
Electronic resource access
Please note that electronic resource access should not be affected but should also be considered at risk.
We hope to restore a full service by Thursday 3rd August. However, systems should be considered at risk for part of the day.
We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.