On 12 April the East India Company at Home team travelled to Cardiff to meet with curators, archivists, academics, local and family historians and heritage sector professionals from across Wales. The Wales Study Day took place at the National Museum Wales, whose rich collections contain examples of objects with deep East India Company links – a gold cup, armorial porcelain, portraits and snuff boxes. As well as engaging with these collections the Study Day participants also presented examples of objects and built environments that they have used in their own work. The day ended with a discussion about the distinctive nature of the Welsh East India Company experience. Many thanks to all who were involved with the day and special thanks to Oliver Fairclough and Andrew Renton of National Museum Wales for hosting the event.
The East India Company at Home, 1757-1857 was a 3-year Leverhulme Trust-funded research project based in the Department of History at the University of Warwick (2011-2012) and University College London (2012-2014). The project was funded by the Leverhulme Trust and ended in August 2014. Over three years the core project team and over 300 project associates worked together to examine the British country house in an imperial and global context.
Professor Finn will continue to blog (and tweet) about developments connected with the project and themes related to colonial material cultures. Have questions? Contact:
- .@seahaCDT are advertising 8 4-year fully funded interdisciplinary heritage science and engineering scholarships seaha-cdt.ac.uk/opportunities/ 3 years ago
- The recording from the final session of our #EIChomecoming conference is now available online: blogs.ucl.ac.uk/eicah/objects-… 3 years ago
- Post-doc research fellowship on ‘Artisans and the Craft Economy in Scotland c.1780-1914’ project, Uni of Edin: vacancies.ed.ac.uk/pls/corehrrecr… 3 years ago
- On #YorkshireDay why not revisit @HelenClifford5‘s case study on the Nabob Sir Lawrence Dundas & Aske Hall, NYorks blogs.ucl.ac.uk/eicah/aske-hal… 3 years ago
- Missed our #EIChomecoming conference? It’s now on Storify: storify.com/EICatHome/obje… 3 years ago
Powered by Twitter Tools