DIS Student Blog

Department of Information Studies

ICA Congress 2016 in Seoul, South Korea

By Jenny J Bunn, on 4 October 2016

In April this year, I was delighted to find out I had been selected as one of eight bursary holders from across the globe to work on behalf of the ICA (International Council on Archives) New Professionals Programme http://www.ica.org/en/our-professional-programme/new-professionals and to attend the ICA Congress in September held in Seoul, South Korea. The Congress consists of workshops, governance meetings and presentations from academics and practitioners working in archives, records management and conservation.

In the months leading up to the Congress the New Professionals worked on a joint project to survey the global new professionals to find out their backgrounds and needs concerning employment and professional development, alongside their knowledge and expectations of professional bodies both nationally and globally. The initial results from our survey were then presented by us at the Congress and recommendations made to the ICA to improve engagement with new professionals and to help encourage new professionals to get involved in the ICA.

New Professional Bursary holders

All 8 New Professional Bursary holders at the ICA Congress 2016 Opening Ceremony.

Attending the conference allowed me to hear an address from President Park Guen-hye and a reading prepared by the Secretary-General of the United Nations Ban Ki-moon, alongside numerous keynote speakers including Barbara Reed and Eric Ketelaar. I was able to attend a variety of presentations and learn a great deal about the current state of progress within archives globally. It left me with numerous ideas about the challenges we are facing and what can be done to combat some of the ever pressing issues we all share – from issues relating to digital preservation, the application of new technologies, and the management of Big Data, to thought provoking ideas on how to collaborate with libraries, museums and communities. The conference also gave me the chance to network with professionals from all over the world.

The New Professionals were each assigned a mentor for the conference, and I was paired with a very enthusiastic and inspiring archivist. My mentor invited me to audit the Branch Presidents meeting on the first day. Whilst initially this seemed a daunting prospect I was thankful that I had attended as it gave me a great insight into how the branches were governed and awareness of the concerns facing each global region.

New Professionals speaking at the Closing Ceremony

New Professionals speaking at the Closing Ceremony.

The Congress was thought-provoking and inspiring. It enabled me to see the archives and records management profession as a truly global one, in which we share the shame challenges and can work together to share knowledge and expertise.

Following the Congress, the New Professionals will continue to work on the New Professional Online Network to deliver content. We all also volunteered to help out within the wider ICA, which is always on the look-out for editors, article writers, and translators. Working as part of the New Professionals Programme was a rewarding experience. I was able to learn new skills (using collaborative online documents and new software), practice other skills I was less confident in (presenting in the New Professional session and at the Closing Ceremony!), and make (what I hope will be) lasting friendships.

For those interesting in learning more about the ICA New Professionals Programme or who would like to contribute to content, please do get in touch via Facebook https://www.facebook.com/ICA-New-Professionals-Nouveaux-professionnels-1594390744107857/ or Twitter https://twitter.com/icarchiv_np and subscribe to our newsletter https://www.facebook.com/ICA-New-Professionals-Nouveaux-professionnels-1594390744107857/app/100265896690345/. The next ICA Conference will be held in Mexico City and I encourage all new professionals to apply!

Written by,

Nicola Wood
Archives Assistant, Queen Mary University of London
MA Archives and Records Management, University College London