UCLDH Blog

Technology meets Scholarship

By Chris J Dillon, on 28 January 2016

Hessian State Archives, Marburg

Hessian State Archives, Marburg

Between 19-21 January I attended Technology meets Scholarship, or how Handwritten Text Recognition will Revolutionize Access to Archival Collections in Marburg, Germany.

During the first day of the conference, the outside temperature was -10. It was, however, a really warm group of people.

Some of the sessions I found most interesting were on the Stasi archives. There were brief sessions in English, but fortunately my listening skills were just up to understanding the longer sessions in German. They were measuring Stasi files in units of the Berlin Television Tower, e.g., they had 3 television towers of documents on …

Recordings of most sessions will be available online: http://coop-project.eu/event/first-international-coop-convention/?instance_id=3167

I was surprised to find people who knew Bernhard Eversberg, the developer of the “allegro” database, who retired recently. The software was used in the UK from 1995 until recently for importing Chinese and Japanese catalogues and adding local holdings. Some of the software has been made open source: www.allegro-c.de/allegro-2016.pdf (German)